The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Anyone else here grow hoyas?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by halsa on January 26, 2006 05:19 AM
Anyone else here grow hoyas? They are my favorite houseplant. I have around 15 different kinds and I want more, they are so addicting, mostly because of their beautiful and unique flowers, and most of them have very fragrant flowers.I was hoping there others here who would like to trade cuttings in spring or when wheather permits. I have several different plants that I can take cuttings from, A few of are still to small to get cuttings from but maybe another trade can be set up for later in the summer after new growth has started. If anyone is interested plmk.
halsa
by rue anemone on January 26, 2006 05:24 AM
No, but I just recently read about them and am very interested in trying some. I have heard that many find collecting Hoyas addicting!! Do I need another addiction? Yep sure!!

Do you have any pictures of your plants that you could post for all of us to see?

How many years have you been collecting Hoyas?

-
 -
by halsa on January 26, 2006 05:48 AM
sure I do, but not many of the flowers themselves.

-
this is the only one that is blooming at this time.

-

-

-

-

-
by halsa on January 26, 2006 05:50 AM
here are some more, wouldn't let me put them all in one post.

-

-

-

-

-
by margaret e. pell on January 26, 2006 06:05 AM
Hi, Halsa! I have 4 hoya, cv Matilda, cv KrimsonQueen(with a second K?), Lacunosa, and Publicalyx "Pink-Silver". The first 3 are small and have not bloomed yet. They just rooted from small cuttings last summer. The Pink-Silver is huge and unruly, I could easily give you some, lots, but it looks like you already have some. Does yours bloom? Mine never has. I have nothing to trade, but maybe you could tell me the name(s) of hoya that will bloom nicely in normal livingroom conditions. Thanks. Here are my favorite hoya "stores."

http://www.paulshirleysucculents.nl/

http://www.bigislandgrowers.com/ghp/AH.php

-

may God bless the WHOLE world!
by halsa on January 26, 2006 07:02 AM
I grow most of mine in my kitchen, I have a window in front of my kitchen sink that is about 6 or 7 feet long and about 3 feet tall,there are cabinets above and I put hooks along the bottom of it and have hanging plants all along it, The only bad thing about the window is that it faces north, but I don't think my plants care because they sure do grow good there. I think alot of humidity has alot to do with it too, I run this nifty little thing
 -

on my days off work to add humidity also.
I wouldn't mind getting a few publicalyx cuttings, because they would make a lovely mothers day gift for my mother.
I have a bunch of curtisii cuttings rooting right now that maybe I could con you into trading a couple of cuts of your matlida for if you have enough, and some plain old hoya carnosa for the publicalyx.
halsa
by ShirlS on January 26, 2006 08:54 AM
Hi Halsa,

What beautiful Hoya's you have!! I have never grown them before. I recently got a cutting from a friend of mine. I planted it, so we will see how it goes. I am not sure what the name is ( she does not know) It very much resembles the one you have with the tiny white specks on the leaves. I have 6 leaves ( very healthy looking), and then about 2 1/2 feet of vine after the leaves. I understand that vine will sprout leaves too! yay!! You can bet I will be back to ask you questions now that i know you are so experienced in growing them. What type is the one with the heart shaped leaves? I think I fell in love [perplexed]

Welcome to the forum!

Shirl

-
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
Ralph Waldo Emerson
by halsa on January 26, 2006 07:09 PM
Hi shirl,
your hoya is probably just plain old hoya carnosa,but most people say you have to wait for flowers to get a proper ID for a plant because the foliage on so many of them look alike.
the one with heart shaped leaves is hoya kerrii.
halsa
by rue anemone on January 27, 2006 12:03 AM
OK now you have done it!!

The one with the purple buds/berries too cool.

And the link to the page with the purple and white AND yellowish flowers!!

I really NEED some now.

-
 -
by BeckyB on February 01, 2006 06:24 AM
This is just the topic I've been looking for! [clappy] My aunt really likes hoyas and she gave me rooted clippings so I could have me own. I didn't realize there were so many varieties. [perplexed] We were wondering if anyone has any tips to get them to blossom more?

-
 -
"As long as there are tests,
there will be prayer in public schools"
- Maxine
by imperialis on February 06, 2006 07:56 PM
Hi all!

I´m a hoya collector and I would be interested in trading hoyas. But the weather doesn´t allow it right now. Maybe later, when spring has arrived?
by ShirlS on February 07, 2006 05:04 AM
Hi Imperialis,

I don't have any Hoyas to trade, but I wanted to welcome you. When the weather is nice I am going to get a sweetheart Hoya. I have a start planted that a friend gave me, it is doing well so far. Good luck with yoru trading!

Shirl

-
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
Ralph Waldo Emerson
by BeckyB on February 08, 2006 08:12 AM
I'm still wondering if anyone has any tips to get a hoya to blossom more?

-
 -
- Maxine
by ShirlS on February 08, 2006 09:10 AM
Hi Becky,

I went on a search to see if I could find anything to help in the blooming department. It seems Hoya's need to be root bound in order to bloom, and can take up to 2 yrs. I am just starting out with them also. My cuttings are rooted and planted but have awhile to go before being root bound. Guess you and I are going to twiddle our thumbs while we wait for the roots to grow [muggs]

Hoya tips

-
Ralph Waldo Emerson
by BeckyB on February 09, 2006 01:28 AM
Thanks Shirl! [thumb] [muggs] [thumb]

-
 -
- Maxine
by darlene87 on February 11, 2006 05:26 PM
Dear Halsa,
The hoya you have that is the middle of the page, it is a fat heart shaped leaf, sort of like a succulent. Do you know the name of it? I purchased one over 6 yrs. ago, and they said it was a cactus, and it has been in the same pot for yrs., just light fertilizer. It stayed the same size for all these yrs. and never grew a sprout...guess because they just put a leaf in and that is it. This week, I purchased another one that is half green, and half cream color planted the same way, just one leaf, with the heart part at the top and the pointed end in the soil. Any help as to how to grow it will be appreciated. I do have a small leaf hoya (hoya bella) that is 20 yr. old now, but this other one is puzzling.
Darlene
by Safari Barbie on February 15, 2006 06:53 AM
I also have a hoya, a Hoya tsangii. I got it as a small cutting about 2 years ago. It hasn't bloomed yet, but from what I understand, should this summer. I can't wait!
Barb

Barb
Southern coastal North Carolina
http://community.webshots.com/user/safari_barbie
by darlene87 on February 15, 2006 09:12 AM
I found out what the hoya plant is: it is called Sweetheart Hoya. Problem is: they just take one leaf and put it in soil like an africian violet. They need 2 leaves with the mother stem also, thus I will always have just the heart leaf until it dies.
Darlene
by vivi23ro on February 24, 2006 04:30 AM
i have a hoya buy mine never bloomed,whay?does anyone know?
by angelblossom on February 24, 2006 09:30 AM
Hi Vivi I have hoyas One of them is growing pink leaves below my signature is my photobucket you can see it there.. also try this site is has growing tips for hoya from what I understand they need to be a few years old before blooming [dunno]

http://www.hoyaplants.com

-
 -
Sorrow looks back, Worry looks around, Faith looks up!  -  -
http://photobucket.com/albums/e374/2thtek/  -  -
by ShirlS on February 26, 2006 07:09 AM
I just ordered a Sweetheart Hoya. I am really excited about it! Soon my hubby will put me in the dog house if I keep going on my plants [Roll Eyes]

-
Ralph Waldo Emerson
by bettyboop1948 on April 24, 2006 06:35 AM
Hi all Hoya lover's
I have a few but they all are the same kind,I would love to have more really like them,I would love to have the heart shape one,maybe later i could share and get some starts from someone here.
bettyboop1948
 -
by angelblossom on April 24, 2006 07:50 AM
Hi Betty B-- I love hoya also I have one that has already bloomed and another is is beginning to bloom..
 -

I'd really like to have a curley/twisted leafed one those look pretty cool!! [thumb]

-
 -
by bettyboop1948 on April 29, 2006 04:01 AM
AngelBlossom,
your Hoyas look great i hope mine will,
flower soon,it never has yet.I just love the flower so much,I hope to fine one of the heart shape ones
bettyboop1948
by angelblossom on April 29, 2006 10:26 AM
BettyB... do any of yours have bloom spurs on them?? I understand once it blooms not to remove the spent bloom and not to disturb the bloom spur as that where it whill bloom from again

-
 -
by bettyboop1948 on May 01, 2006 03:35 PM
TY for letting me know,But i will have to check and see,
bettyboop1948 [thumb] [flower]
by Rosepetal on May 01, 2006 04:51 PM
Hi All, [Smile]
I'm a hoya lover as well. I've had mine for over 20 years now, but it did take at least 10 for it to start to flower. It is an easy plant to grow and once it becomes root bound the growth is fast. Mine is taking over my living room wall already. [Big Grin]
I've pinch off my flowers mid bloom and at other times and nothing seems to stunt their bloom. [flower]
My plant has the pale pink flowers. Many have ask me if I like the peculiar smell? But I haven't noticed any at all, the only thing I have is a mess if you don't catch the dried flowers before they drop. [Frown]
I was gone for a week once and when I came home, well you know the rest, just wish I would have taken a picture before I cleaned the mess. [Big Grin]
I'd love to start another hoya, but my hubby says I've got a forest in the house already so I think I'll try something else. [clappy]

-
 -
For this "New Year" help me to be kinder and more loving to all around me, I pray.
by Rosepetal on May 03, 2006 10:12 AM
Hi All,
I'm trying out my photo skill, see if I can actually post a photo of my hoya plant.
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j256/rosepetal24/P1010772.jpg

-
 -
For this "New Year" help me to be kinder and more loving to all around me, I pray.
by Rosepetal on May 03, 2006 10:22 AM
Hi Again,
I did it!!!!!!
Now for some close ups of the flowers.

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j256/rosepetal24/P1010774.jpg
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j256/rosepetal24/P1010773.jpg

-
 -
by angelblossom on May 03, 2006 01:09 PM
Rosepetal Wow ...,your's is magnificent! I've never seen one with such growth!

[clappy] [grin] [flower] [flower]

-
 -
by margaret e. pell on May 03, 2006 06:01 PM
Hi, all. My Lacunosa has just opened its first flower. It smells WONDERFUL! I'm so happy. The Matilda seems to be growing a flower spur, it's a little small to pin too much hope on, but maybe... The Pink-silver is infested with scale bugs. I just moved it outside where I can thoroughly spray it (it's the monster - vines floor to ceiling plus several feet and still growing, but narry a flower). And the Krimson Queen (or Princess) is small yet, but growing well. There are so MANY wonderful hoya and I have such limited space. It's very frustrating.

-

may God bless the WHOLE world!
by anitas garden 55 on May 15, 2006 09:13 AM
i would sure like to have a start of the sweetheart hoya could you help. i am hoping you would have a start thank you
by bettyboop1948 on May 15, 2006 10:44 AM
Hi all,
I too would love a start of the heart shape hoya
i have three hoya's but not one of them,
been looking for one no luck yet.So if any one would like to share a start u would make my day
bettyboop1948

-
by bettyboop1948 on May 15, 2006 10:57 AM
Hi All Hoya lover's
In my flower book it say's they bloom are flower in May to Sept, and there is alot of them they have Hoya Carnosa is the basic species another is variegata cream-edged and then exotica yellow- centred and krimson princess red color. we do
another post don't want to make this that long
bettyboop1948
by bettyboop1948 on May 15, 2006 11:07 AM
Back with the secrets of success for Hoya's
It say's the H bella need's more heat and humidity but less light.it say's the don't are not to remove dead flowers do not disturb plant once it bud's and the temp50 to 55 in winter Light bright light water liberally from spring to autumn and sparing in winter mist leave's regularybut not when is in bloom repot if necessary in spring and for propagation take stem cutting using mature shoot's in spring
Hope this help any one that needed it
bettyboop1948

here is one of mine

-
by bettyboop1948 on May 15, 2006 11:09 AM
Here is another one of mine
bettyboop1948
 -
by bettyboop1948 on May 15, 2006 11:12 AM
 - [Love] [Love] [Love]
bettyboop1948
by Rosepetal on May 16, 2006 10:58 AM
My hoya is very easy to take care of. I just water it with "shultz plant food" in my water once a week. It has been moved 3 times and it's still growing strong.

One thing they love to be is root bound.

Here are pictures of mine.

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j256/rosepetal24/P1010772.jpg
http://i82.photobucket.co

-
 -
by Rosepetal on May 16, 2006 11:00 AM
Opps the second pictures not quite right here goes again.

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j256/rosepetal24/P1010773.jpg

Ok now!!!!

-
 -
by joclyn on May 16, 2006 11:23 AM
oh, wow! these are really nice plants!!

i've got iris and daylily to trade for babies...
by gardeningmomma on May 16, 2006 03:08 PM
They are beautiful plants!

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: