The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

African Violets 102...What to do now that you have babies

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
Pages: 2 3 1
by Triss on February 21, 2006 05:27 AM
That varigated one is really nice JV.

-
 -
We are all under the same stars... therefore we are never far apart.
by JV on February 21, 2006 08:48 AM
All my above AV's are history trying to salvedge them Tiki my grandsons dog ate them while I was at store today. She ate them and scattered them all through the house. Muy Daughter just came got Tiki and Casey will be paying for the AV's as well as my Crown of thorns two pepper plants as well as some of my Hibiscus. When I get the money from him I will replace them at that time. Cannot beleive she ate the Cactus I pulled some thorns out of her mouth if she didn't eat it she sure hid it good. I will probably step on it when I get up at night to get a drink and now shoes on.
Jimmy

-
 -
Meet Clyde my Male Sugar Glider. Clyde says.
Keep it organic
GOD BLESS THE U.S.A.
Pray for our Troops!

-
by Triss on February 21, 2006 09:48 AM
Oh no Jimmy, that is not good at all. Were you able to save some of the leaves to try and start them. I am so sorry that you lost so much.

-
 -
by JV on February 21, 2006 09:55 AM
Yes I got some leaves they were scattered all through the house and pretty well mangled. My daughter came got Tiki she didn't want to go and cried when I put her in the car and told her by. She watched until they turned the corner. if she had not torn up everything and hadn't malled Mimi playing I would have kept her but I just can't have that I feel bad but I will never keep anyone's dog again. Feeling worse again going back to bed.
Jimmy

-
 -
Keep it organic
GOD BLESS THE U.S.A.
Pray for our Troops!

-
by Triss on February 21, 2006 10:03 AM
You rest and I will catch up with you later. Hope you are able to get some of those AV's to grow!

-
 -
by comfrey on February 21, 2006 11:29 AM
Oh Jimmy..what a terrible mess to come home to...I thought the crown of thorns was poisionous??? Sure hope it doesn't make the dog sick and I hope you don't step on any thorns. I woke up and found a cactus pot in the kitchen sink this morning, but was able to salvage the whole mess...I have two little kittens running wild in my house right now, so I suspect they did it.

-
 -
by Triss on February 25, 2006 09:12 AM
Found a neat shelf when I was cleaning today and decided to put it to good use holding AV's. It is on the wall next to my desk and holding 6 little babies. They are just sitting in their plastic pots inside the terra cotta ones. They get all kinds of indirect light here.

-

-
 -
by barleychown on February 25, 2006 09:16 AM
That looks like a great spot for them! [thumb]

-
 -

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.
by comfrey on February 25, 2006 09:37 AM
Thats a very cute shelf Triss! I finally told DH about my plan of having alot more av...and he just looked at me and kind of slumped his shoulders, Like oh know more plants but without speaking. [Big Grin]

-
 -
by Triss on February 25, 2006 09:44 AM
Dan does not mind the plants and is actually happy I have something I enjoy doing that is not at all related to anything he or the kids do. This is my thing and while they may help me on occasion, it is my get-away.

-
 -
by comfrey on February 25, 2006 09:47 AM
Well mine hates house plants, but tolerates them as he knows its something that makes me happy, He does complain once in awhile, so I wanted to perpare him for more plants.

-
 -
by Triss on February 25, 2006 09:50 AM
That is a good plan. I always do the same and try and make room for them before I get them.

-
 -
by FlowerNewbie on February 28, 2006 04:55 AM
I ordered a digi cam and will be able to post all my plants soon. However, quite a few of the av's are pretty sad, and my lovely sprouting coleus has mold. I'm feeling a little depressed today in the garden department. Any inspriration to cheer me up out there [Frown] [Roll Eyes] [dunno] [perplexed] [scaredy] [tears] [shocked] [nutz] ??

-
 -
Kitten in Life  - , Tiger in Love  -
by comfrey on February 28, 2006 08:25 AM
I didn't want to start any leaves yet....But the two kittens I have in my house seen fit to force me into it early, they broke off several leaves, the stems were really short, but put them in the potting mix just in case they might make it.
 -
 -

-
 -
by Triss on February 28, 2006 01:25 PM
Sorry you are having a bad garden day Newbie. I hope that tomorrow brings happier plants!

Looks good Comfrey.

-
 -
by FlowerNewbie on March 01, 2006 06:10 AM
Hi guys,

Got my digi cam today! Posted my pics of av's starts and plants as well as other plants and questions

in housplants

Photos & Q&A of my plants (Av's, Coleus, Herbs, Roses & Jade)

Come check it out!

please?

-
 -
by JV on March 07, 2006 04:12 AM
Found my first baby this morning.
 -
Jimmy

-
 -
Keep it organic
GOD BLESS THE U.S.A.
Pray for our Troops!

-
by FlowerNewbie on March 07, 2006 04:16 AM
Cool!!! How long did those take to show?

-
 -
by Triss on March 07, 2006 04:24 AM
Very exciting Jimmy!

-
 -
by FlowerNewbie on March 07, 2006 04:35 AM
Here's what I did today...

Took my av's that were never seperated and placed them into individual cups... Just used a seed starter tray and a couple clay pots a had cause there were so many plantlets from the 5 plants...

-

-

Can you believe how many little plants came from those guys. I even kept the couple leaves that fell off to see if the'll grow... Hope all the little guys do well....

Also noticed something kinda interesting about clay pots... when your bottom feeding plants in these it almost gives you a gage of when they are done cause as the water goes up so does a "wet" line aound the outside of the pot. Once the wet line reached the top of the soil I removed the plant... But I guess this also means I'll have to water more cause the pot seems to suck the water right up... hmmmm

-
 -
by Triss on March 07, 2006 04:39 AM
And remember the clay pots will dry out a lot faster too. I use plastic liners in my clay pots. I have 6 just like those.

I got my first bloom today off the plants that Sarah gave me. It is Rob's Gundaroo
 -

-
 -
by FlowerNewbie on March 07, 2006 04:43 AM
ohhh... pretty!!!! Can't wait till mine start blooming... It means they are happy... then I'll know I'm doing right! You must be proud!

quote:
I use plastic liners in my clay pots
How do you get them small enough? Doesn't the whole in the bag ten to move around, how do you get it to stay still?

-
 -
by Triss on March 07, 2006 04:57 AM
I dunno where Sarah got the cups but they are like little resturant condiment cups. They fit right in the clay pots.

quote:
Doesn't the whole in the bag ten to move around, how do you get it to stay still?

I do not understand?

-
 -
by FlowerNewbie on March 07, 2006 05:02 AM
Oh I see, I was thinking like sandwhich bags... that's why I was thinking they'd move all around and block the drainage wholes and such... lol... does that make sense?

-
 -
by Triss on March 07, 2006 05:18 AM
Yep, that makes sense.

Here is one of mine. I have them all lined with the plastic containers that do not have holes and then the plants are in the same size or smaller ones with holes.

-

-
 -
by FlowerNewbie on March 07, 2006 05:36 AM
Cool... Do you think it's not good to have them planted directly into the clay pot?

-
 -
by Triss on March 07, 2006 06:10 AM
I know they dry out a lot faster. So for this plant in particular, I would not use the clay. I do like clay for other plants though.

-
 -
by comfrey on March 08, 2006 01:21 PM
[clappy] WhoooHoo Jimmy, that is great that you have babies [thumb] Do you rember when you started your leaves?? Was just wondering how long it took for yours. [flower] [flower] [flower] [flower]

-
 -
by JV on March 08, 2006 04:24 PM
Comfrey I started mine about jan. 3. About gave up on them at all.
Jimmy

-
 -
Keep it organic
GOD BLESS THE U.S.A.
Pray for our Troops!

-
by ShirlS on March 09, 2006 01:36 AM
Congrats on your babies Jimmy!!! good thing you didn't give up on them eh? Patience is a learned art [Big Grin] took me nearly forever to learn it.

-
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
Ralph Waldo Emerson
by FlowerNewbie on March 09, 2006 01:40 AM
My plan is to have so many plants that almost everyday I have something to do with them ... this way I don't get so impatient when the babies are coming up...

I wonder if a leaf is disturbed while in the soil meaning accidently removed ... and you stick it back in does this restart the time?

-
 -
by ShirlS on March 09, 2006 01:46 AM
Depends on if you tore the roots off or not. if the roots were damaged, I would say yes. If not no. Keep in mind that some varieties take longer than others to push babies up. I started my leaves back in Nov 05. Some took longer than others to sprout mouse ears ( being winter had something to do with it, I am sure). I have plantlets from them now, but some are slow growers compared to others.

-
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
Ralph Waldo Emerson
by comfrey on March 09, 2006 03:07 AM
quote:
Originally posted by ShirlS:
Patience is a learned art [Big Grin] took me nearly forever to learn it.
Patience I think is the hardest part when growing things...esp things like av's. I just planted leaves and the worry is worse then having patience.
[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

-
 -
by Triss on March 09, 2006 05:11 AM
I am just trying to keep myself busy with other plantings so I do not worry so much about the Av's getting babies. On days I have other things to do, it works.

-
 -
by comfrey on March 09, 2006 06:54 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Triss:
I am just trying to keep myself busy with other plantings so I do not worry so much about the Av's getting babies. On days I have other things to do, it works.
[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
My av leaves are in my seed room...where I have other stuff to do, but it doesn't keep me from thinking about them since they are right there LOL

Ok..I guess we need to form a help group called AV Worriers...where [nutz] maybe we could [critic] learn the patience required for growing/starting [flower] [flower] [flower] av's

-
 -
by Triss on March 09, 2006 01:06 PM
Nawww, forget the patience thing. [Big Grin]

-
 -
by ShirlS on March 09, 2006 01:54 PM
[flower] Yep Comfrey, I definately do understand what you are saying.

-
Ralph Waldo Emerson
by barleychown on March 09, 2006 11:41 PM
Now you all understand why mine are in the back bedroom. [grin]

-
 -

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.
by ShirlS on March 10, 2006 03:38 AM
[Big Grin] Barley!

I peek at mine every few days to check the watering situation. Aside from that I too don't bother them much. When I first planted them I went away to Hawaii for 2 weeks, so I couldn't check them every day. But when I came back, I did for about 2 weeks, check daily for babies. Nearly drove me wonky doing that [grin]

-
Ralph Waldo Emerson
by FlowerNewbie on March 10, 2006 04:14 AM
I know!!!! especially if you've never done it before, you constantly worry if you're doing it right, or if it really is ever going to happen...

This is me waiting for my av's to grow

-

-
 -
by comfrey on March 10, 2006 10:15 AM
quote:
especially if you've never done it before, you constantly worry if you're doing it right, or if it really is ever going to happen...
Maybe that's what the problem is??? But I suspect with each batch of leaves we will still feel the same, We will just learn how to handle the waiting part.

About the pots for av's...My mom prefers plastic, but she has a bunch of hers in clay pots and has no problem....But of course she has this nice glass sun room on the front of her house where all of hers resides in this wonderful climate for them. She told me about a leaf a woman from the beauty shop gave her in December and The plant produced from that leaf is blooming right now, she says it has three flower clusters...So I offer this as evidence, that all the worry is worth the wait and patience. But some av's grow slower then others. [flower] [flower] [flower] [flower]

-
 -
by JV on March 15, 2006 12:27 AM
My first born just seperated this morning.Hope it wasn't too soon.
 - a little dark
Jimmy

-
 -
Keep it organic
GOD BLESS THE U.S.A.
Pray for our Troops!

-
by Triss on March 15, 2006 01:45 AM
Looks Good Jimmy!

-
 -
by Triss on March 15, 2006 05:33 AM
I have an AV in bloom. It is called Rob's Gundaroo.
 -

-
 -
by FlowerNewbie on March 15, 2006 05:53 AM
Pretty Triss! I can't wait till mine are starting to be in bloom

-
 -
by comfrey on March 15, 2006 01:01 PM
Very pretty Triss!!!! [flower] [flower]

[clappy] Congratulations Jimmy on your new "Baby"!

-
 -
by ShirlS on March 15, 2006 03:07 PM
Congrats on your new addition Jimmy! the baby looks nice and healthy!

Triss! I am jealous [tongue] Very nice Av you have there.

-
Ralph Waldo Emerson
by FlowerNewbie on March 15, 2006 10:39 PM
Guess what guys! Remember that av I was telling you about that I couldn't get to bloom well....

-

The others are still hiding but at least I got to see the one and the color of it [flower] [flower]

-
 -
by SpringFever on March 15, 2006 10:57 PM
nice flower big too,I am sure you are happy!!!

-
 -
Tonight I am having friends for dinner... Hanibal Lector My Album
by Triss on March 16, 2006 02:40 AM
Nice flower Newbie.

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: