The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Hibiscus trouble

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: Hibiscus Splitting??| Next thread: hibiscus trouble »
Back to Thread index
by e.heffren on July 30, 2005 11:48 AM
I was given a hibiscus in June after my father's funeral. I came home to find it in my livingroom where it had no water for 2-3 days, minimal light and air conditioning. The leaves were drooping, yellow and had black spots on the underside. After much reading, I found it to be very happy in my backyard with our hot, humid summer here and it has been blooming well the last couple weeks, but there are still black spots on the underside of the mature leaves which are also curling. Now I'm loosing leaves again, turning yellow and dying and the branches are already half bare. I have no idea what's wrong or what to do - any suggestions?
by mike57 on July 30, 2005 01:57 PM
[wayey] HI e.heffren I assume its a tropical hibiscus if so it sounds like it is under stress of some sort.i would remove the leaves with black spots on them and discard them into the trash can,it should be putting on new growth so it will hurt the plant.here is a link i found for you that will help your hibiscus plant.it deals with hibiscus plants only.
http://www.hibiscus.org/faq-2.php
it should have all the information you will need to bring it back to good health.hope you find it helpful.your friend in gardening.mike57 [wayey] [flower] [flower]

-
No One Can Make You Feel Inferior Without Your Consent.
by e.heffren on July 30, 2005 09:53 PM
Thanks Mike, I will definately check it out.
Elisabeth
by toma on August 01, 2005 08:43 PM
oHi Elisabeth,
in my country (Roumania / south -east Europe)from this hibiscus problem we make thus: buy a bottle of beer and washing the hibiscus's leaves with beer. (once per month)
It's not a joke. The properties of the beer are so good from the hibiscus.
Now, I'm not sure if that "recipe" is available for your area!
By the way, what kind (tipe) of Hibiscus you have (Natasja, Ivan Smith, Miss Liberty, Concorde, Eye of the Storm, Fifth Dimensionetc) or Hibiscus Divaricatus, heterophillus, diversifolius, Splendens or Australian Native Hibiscus (all latest are australian species).
If you want I help you, I am looking forward to more details.
I'm sorry for my English, but it's not my native language!
PS: In Romanian the name of hibiscus is trandafir japonez (chinezesc) translate in english word by word japanese (chinese) rose
by tkhooper on August 01, 2005 09:36 PM
Welcome Toma I'm glad you found us.
by JV on August 03, 2005 03:24 AM
Toma Welcome to the forum. I would love to have seeds from your Hibiscuc in Romania as well as any seed from your Australian Hibiscus. I have also seen it called Chinese Rose. your post are very interesting can learn a lot of you. i have som Manhot Sweet Yellow will be getting seeds from if you like. also go to my photobucket link you can see what Hibiscus I have.
Jimmy

-
 -
Meet Clyde my Male Sugar Glider. Clyde says.
Keep it organic
GOD BLESS THE U.S.A.
Pray for our Troops!

-
by e.heffren on August 03, 2005 03:56 AM
Hi Toma, welcome! I don't know what kind of Hibiscus it is. When it showed up in my livingroom, it had one yellow bloom. Then the plant struggled until I put it outside my window and when it bloomed again they were peach or light orange with a red center. It is threes stems braided together. It didn't come with any instructions, tags or anything. Anything I have figured out so far I have gotten from the internet. I had a Hibiscus once as a teenager but I froze it to death not knowing it was tropical :-)
by JV on August 03, 2005 04:18 AM
e.heffren: You have a braided Hibiscus Mine are Tropical have one that is a kind of pink and the other is Yellow. I have to bring mine inside in the winter. But I do most of mine anyway so far have had very good luck doing that. If the leaves are shiny it is probably a tropical go to my photobucket and look at mine if yours look like that they are tropical but if the leaves are not shiny but kind of dull most likely you have a Hardy. My grandsons girl friend is asian she said the braided Hibiscus is for luck.
Jimmy

-
 -
Keep it organic
GOD BLESS THE U.S.A.
Pray for our Troops!

-
by e.heffren on August 03, 2005 04:51 AM
jv: I was just looking at my plant. The young, healthy leaves are shiny but not glossy. They the black spots begin to appear, first kind of brownish then darkening up, The leaves begin to curl, lose their lusture, dry a little and then yellow and die.
Elisabeth
by JV on August 03, 2005 01:24 PM
Mary: Have you tried making a garlic pepper tea with dish liquid or a tea out of organic cornmeal? I had a few blackspots on mine last year they were in full sun. Sprayed it a couple of times have not seen any since. Like Mike57 said you may want to pull your leaves off and put in the garbage can to be sent to a landfill. If you do always pull up on the leaf never pull down as it can stipr the bark on the branch and cause more damage. the cornmeal tea you take and put in an old panty hose or any Nylon stocking and place in a container of water let it set a few days then put in a spray bottle makeing sure NO cornemal solids go into the spray bottle and spray every inch of the plant real good do not miss anywhere get it all. also put that cornmeal in the soil it is a fertilizer as well as a funcacide and is 100% safe for all children and pets. Hope this helps you.

-
 -
Keep it organic
GOD BLESS THE U.S.A.
Pray for our Troops!

-
by e.heffren on August 04, 2005 05:26 AM
Thanks JV, I'll give it a try
Elisabeth

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Hibiscus Splitting??| Next thread: hibiscus trouble »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: