The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

How do I start out with dahlias?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
by CaptainSmile on September 10, 2004 03:46 AM
Do they only come as tubars or sre there seeds? Can I keep the plant indoors while it starts to grow? I am so new to gardening and dahlias, any information you give me will be new to me. [Razz]
by gardenmom32210 on September 10, 2004 04:02 AM
I don't have dahlias,but my neighbor does. The only way I've ever seen them was bulbs,not sure if they have seeds. If they get plenty of light I don't see why they wouldn't start indoors. Just make sure you acclimate them to the weather before they are put outside for good.

Hope this helps!

Karen [grin]
by weezie13 on September 10, 2004 04:16 AM
Hi CaptainSmile,
Great name, and Welcome to The Garden Helper's Forum, very glad you found us!!!

I have only also seen them in bulb forms!!!

I personally always snip the flower heads off to promote more blooming and that when the plant produces seeds, it takes the energy it would have taken to put back into a bigger better bulb next year.... I preferr the bulb over the seeds.

I wouldn't be able to help you with having them indoors, as, for me and my region *(zone 5) My bulbs come up in the spring, *from being over wintered my basement*, potted up, and enjoyed during the summer, when the fall times comes, I let the frosts hit them, and let them die and or dry down naturally and come time before it gets tooooo cold, I pull them out and again, place them in the basement!!!!

It may and or can happen in a different fashion or manor where you live, as your growing zone is probably different than mine...

Hopefully a Calif gardener will come thru with some additional information for you also!!!!!

Weezie

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by catlover on September 10, 2004 05:47 AM
Hi CaptainSmile and welcome to The Garden Helper! [wayey]
I live here in California but have never grown Dahlias.
Here is a write up that Bill has and may answer some of your questions. If not, keep asking away and someone should be through to answer.
Dahlias

If you go to the top of the page you will also see a little box that says GOOGLE....type in Dahlia's or variations of the word and there might be more info.
Have a great day!
Catlover [kitty] [wayey]

-
 -
 -

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: