The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Is my Shamrock Dead?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: Is my jade ruined?| Next thread: Is Myrtle dead?? »
Back to Thread index
by Brigid_CloverMoon on September 02, 2004 11:13 PM
I planted shamrock seeds on St. Paddy's Day approproiately enough. They grew and grew and soon enough I had a pot full of them. They were good for quite a while, but now they seemed to have died. All the leafs and stems are brown and feel like straw, they are just slumped over in the pot. I've tried more water, less water, more sun, no sunlight, and Miracle Grow but nothing is helping bring the plant back. Is it dead? Is there anything that can possibly save it?

I'd appreciate any answers here or at my email address Brigid_CloverMoon@hotmail.com
by afgreyparrot on September 03, 2004 12:31 AM
I doubt if your shamrock is dead.
I haven't been able to kill one yet!!! [Big Grin]

It's just resting. Here's some info that's located elsewhere on this site:
Shamrock

Welcome to the forum!

Cindy

-
 -
 -
Buckle up! It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car!
by KDH on September 03, 2004 06:12 AM
Just cut off the dead leaves. They will come back with great vigor. It is what they need. They are tubors that live for a specific time. They really need to be cut back in order to renew.

Aren't they amazing???

Kindest Regards,
Karen [dunno] [Love]

The More I know, the more I know I need to know more
by Brigid_CloverMoon on September 03, 2004 06:44 AM
Just the leaves or the leaves and the stem?
by Cricket on September 04, 2004 11:41 AM
You can cut them back to the soil if necessary.
by Cricket on September 11, 2004 11:26 AM
I'm told that shamrocks can also be infected with viruses. I took mine out of the soil, rinsed the roots with water and repotted them in fresh soil. They came back within a few weeks.
by KDH on September 12, 2004 04:38 AM
Just cut them back as far as you can...They will come back, flower and be a joy. A friend thought they were dead, tossed them out into the yard and the next spring, they came back with beautiful flowers and leaves. They are truly very hearty plants. Just like the Irish I would say!! [Love] [Smile]

The More I know, the more I know I need to know more
by Carly on September 12, 2004 08:05 AM
I raised a whole pot of clover a couple of years ago. I now have it in that rock garden I started -not much of it left now. There's lots of the same leaf around here in the grass (our lawns & other peoples)

That shamrock plant looks exactly like the clover.

-
When sorting seeds, do not whistle.
by Carly on September 12, 2004 08:14 AM
Here's a picture of the clover - it's in the ground now and there's not much of it left. I didn't keep it going in a pot this year.

Maybe I ought to start another one.

I actually got an article published about raising the stuff - they included one of my pictures.

-

-
When sorting seeds, do not whistle.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Is my jade ruined?| Next thread: Is Myrtle dead?? »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: