The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

impatiens

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: Impatien Problem!| Next thread: Impatiens »
Back to Thread index
by joestuff on July 16, 2005 09:35 PM
In spite of the heat and humidity around here this year most of my plants are making a comeback except my impatiens. When I got them (2) from the garden center they were full and beautiful but after the first round of blooms fell off they look sick.They produce lots of buds but the buds barely open (a very small flower) and die . No full blooms like when I first got them. I have been experimenting between sun and shade but so far is not good. Any suggestions????? [dunno]

Joseph Campbell
by tkhooper on July 16, 2005 09:45 PM
Definitely shade and I watered mine quite a bit. Other than that I'm way to new to know. It's good to see you on the forum again. Take care.
by joestuff on July 18, 2005 07:20 AM
I've moved my impatiens to almost total shade and am going to water daily to see what happens. What have I to lose? At present the buds are dying as soon as they open just a teensy.

Joseph Campbell
by tkhooper on July 19, 2005 03:29 AM
I've got my fingers crossed for you. I love the double bloom impatients. I think they look like little tiny cabbage roses lol.
by Carly on July 19, 2005 12:19 PM
Just about everything I have on the table garden which gets full sun right up till around 1:00 pm, has been moved, at one time or another, to 'under' the table ledge at the north end of it.

I find that helps when a plant is limping.

Another thing I do is take pots of stuff that need a good spritz up by the fence where it gets the benefit of the neighbour's sprinkler.

I live in an apartment building where my husband is the super/manager. The owner does not like us using the water on a steady basis, i.e., sprinkling - can't blame her - we're not on a flat rate and utility bills are astronomical in the summer. What with air conditioning and water? Whew! A lot of consumption - a lot of people taking showers, sometimes two or three times a day.

What can you do? It's summer - and they say summers are going to get hotter and hotter, so humanity will have to adapt to it.

-
When sorting seeds, do not whistle.
by tkhooper on July 20, 2005 09:53 PM
Is there anywhere you could have some rain barrels? Maybe with something planted around them so the owner wouldn't mind? I know I've been trying to think of some way to have at least one in the weed patch. But I really have to watch it or they will charge my landlord extra for to many "trash" barrels.
by Elancat on July 27, 2005 05:09 AM
Hello~ I had the same problem with some I bought and my mom told me to have them in sun some of the day and sahde the rest and to water them every day if it is hot as theya re succulents.
Hoep that helped

Ecat
by Karrie on July 27, 2005 10:38 AM
My impatients are in full sun all day long and look wonderful. I was thinking of useing them more next year due to the fact that I am so pleased with their appearance. This is my first year with them.

-
 -

It doesn't matter where you go in life... It's who you have beside you when you get there.

Karrie's Photos
by rozy221 on July 31, 2005 10:50 AM
Just a thought, but have you checked for spider mites? I have found impatiens to be pretty susceptible to them. Good luck!

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Impatien Problem!| Next thread: Impatiens »
Back to Thread index