The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Purslane mixed colors

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
by deb789 on August 14, 2004 01:24 AM
I bought this plant named Purslane. Does it need full sun or shade? How much water? Do i add fertilzer for blooms or leave it alone? It is in a hanging basket.
by catlover on August 14, 2004 06:33 AM
Hi Deb [wayey]
This is the only purslane I personally know about...Is this the purslane you bought?
Purslane [dunno]
Catlover [kitty]

-
 -
 -
by weezie13 on August 14, 2004 07:02 AM
Hi Deb,
The one catlover posted is a "wild" cousin...
The one you bought is cultivated, I guess that would be the word for it...
Is it hot pink or like a salmon and yellow mix??
I love those plants...
Very easy to take care of...
Plant, in the sun, water just a bit, *it stores water in it's leaves like a jade or aloe vera plant.* It likes nutrient rich soil and loves the sun!!!

I didn't get to get any of those plants this year.

Weezie

P.S. You can collect the seeds too, when the flower dies, there'll be a pod at the end, let
that turn brown and alot of tiny~tiny seeds will come popping out!!

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by deb789 on August 14, 2004 03:20 PM
Thanks Weezie, Do you add fertilzer to this plant to keep blooming? If so what kind.
by mshpring on September 13, 2004 08:22 PM
I love purslane. I bought two plants last year; they thrived hanging out in full sun. I've never fertalized mine, but I don't fertalize anything. I brought mine inside for the winter last year, and they died back quite a bit because I didn't have an adequately sunny spot for them. By this spring, only one had survived and it was very small (four short stems). I set it back outside and began watering it regularly. Within a few weeks, the entire pot had re-sprouted! I didn't ever collect the seeds, but it reseeded itself. This year, it has remained smaller than last year, but that's because it had such a puny start. My blooms are much bigger and brighter this year, though. I'll try to winter it indoors again this year.

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: