The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

tree stump fire removal

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Tree stakes| Next thread: tree suckers »
Back to Thread index
by val5922 on May 08, 2006 05:41 AM
Hi I am new to this but sure someone out there can help..
I have 2 rather large tree stumps in need of removal with roots just too big to be either dug out or pulled out.
I have heard of a gel, or paste, that can be put down into drilled holes which, when set on fire, will burn slowly down through the stump.
Does any one know where I could get my hands on the product? [thinker]
by markr on May 08, 2006 01:05 PM
i dont know about the gel, but you could get a stump grinder on them!
there big machines that grind stumps down to wood chips.
you can get them from hire shops.
worth a try if you cant find what your looking for.

-
Mark
by Karrie on May 12, 2006 05:40 AM
I have seen the stump rot at like lowes and home improvement stored and prolly a large nursery would have some. I have never tried it but have seen it. I dont know a bout gel for burning though. I would just throw in some gas and go for it. We had a small one out back about 4 inch in diamater I burned it down to nothing. IT was surounded by concrete so I couldnt dig or pull it. Now the concrete is going to be a planter.

-
 -

It doesn't matter where you go in life... It's who you have beside you when you get there.

Karrie's Photos
by Karrie on May 12, 2006 05:42 AM
I forgot to add on that post.....I drilled several large holes in my stump then filled it with gas and well WHOOOOO up in smoke it went. It took several burn sessions but its gone now.

-
 -

It doesn't matter where you go in life... It's who you have beside you when you get there.

Karrie's Photos
by joclyn on May 12, 2006 02:37 PM
the product you are looking for is available through a miles kimball

i don't know if they do international shipping. you can ask them tho!
by neko nomad on May 14, 2006 01:01 PM
A bag of charcoal briquets and some starter fluid worked for me. Took all day,though, but the stump burned into the ground deeply enough to fill in with wet mud and grass seed to patch up nicely.

The stump was dry, by the way.
by aighead on October 17, 2006 02:52 PM
In any further stump burning missions, can I suggest diesel or kerosene... A little longer lasting and less BOOM-y than the unleaded.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Tree stakes| Next thread: tree suckers »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: