The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Erosion Issue... Need plants to reduce erosion year round

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Eroding ditch| Next thread: Erosion Stoppers »
Back to Thread index
by KKMedic on May 04, 2006 01:10 AM
After a long weekend of rain, to our chagrin, we found that we are going to have erosion issues around the base of our homes foundation... the house is elevated just a bit on one end in comparison to the rest of the yard in order for it to be level. I need to figure out a fast growing plant that would help reduce erosion and still look nice. We are planting Bermuda grass in the yard, but I dont think it will help much with the erosion problem and might create bigger problems trying to mow that area... hence the query about plants... and year round visual appeal is always a plus.
Thanks for all input,
Katherine
Oh yeah, we are in zone 8.

Love begins at home, and it is not how much we do...but how much love we put in that action. -Mother Teresa

Work for the Lord - the pay isn't much but the retirement is out of this world!

"Until one has loved an animal a part of one's sould remains unawakened."   ~Anatole France
by Longy on May 05, 2006 08:39 AM
I think the lawn grass should stop the erosion, but you may need to divert the water away while it is getting established, or lay turf for an instant fix. If you plant a garden, the soil will still erode unless the plant root system is so dense it holds the soil together. This will take some time to achieve.

-
The secret is the soil.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Eroding ditch| Next thread: Erosion Stoppers »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: