The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Plants underneath trees

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by gardeningmomma on April 23, 2006 08:04 AM
I have an area which has a row of trees behind it. It never gets any direct sun. Is there a plant that I could put in there? I don't want flowers, but rather a plant. What about hostas? Would they be good? I'll take some pictures once it stops raining.
Thanks,
Gail
by afgreyparrot on April 23, 2006 08:33 AM
Hi, Gail..... [wavey]
Hostas would be perfect! [thumb]
I have them under my trees!

Here's some info on Hostas for you!

Cindy

-
 -
 -
Buckle up! It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car!
by joclyn on April 23, 2006 08:58 PM
hosta's would be perfect for that spot! there are a few different varieties - some with just all green leaves and some that are variegated. they do flower too.

also, ferns and lily's of the valley do well in shade. i've got a variety of geranium that needs shady areas - it bushes out and has a nice purple flower on it. it spreads out nicely too. doesn't get real tall, tho.

you could also do just a basic ground cover. there are quite a few that do well in shade.
by loz on April 23, 2006 11:55 PM
Hostas are great, and there are so many different kinds that you can choose from! My mom has a ton of Hostas underneath her maple tree and they always look nice! [thumb]

Here's a link to some plants that can be grown in full shade.....you could also possibly grow some ferns with your Hostas! [thumb]
plants for full shade.

laura [wavey]
by gardeningmomma on April 24, 2006 07:27 AM
Thanks for the link [Smile] I will get some hostas, maybe see what other plants they have at Lowes. Thanks all!
by gardeningmomma on April 29, 2006 04:37 PM
I'm going to get hostas tomorrow! I spoke to the plant expert at Lowes. She showed me a variety of plants I could use. [Wink] I'll post some pics once they are in.
Thanks guys!
by gardeningmomma on May 01, 2006 07:04 AM
So I bought three hostas- they are gorgeous! Plus a whole bunch of little plants that will fill in with time. I took some pictures to share- but can't re-call the site that we upload them to. Anyone know it?
Thanks,
Gail
by gardeningmomma on May 01, 2006 07:13 AM
I forgot to add that I found some of my plants from last year under some pine needles. They must have acted as mulch and protected them throught the Winter [Smile] Please tell me how to care for my hostas. Thanks

Active Garden Forum