The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Living fence.

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Live house plant LIVE!| Next thread: Living Oddball »
Back to Thread index
by loz on April 18, 2006 11:41 PM
My sister will be selling her house soon and she has a pretty big backyard that's totally empty. She can't afford to build a fence, but she was brainstorming with me on doing a living fence out of some kind of bush.

She'd prefer a flowering bush that is evergreen......Something other than Rhodys.

Any ideas?????

Actually even a non flowering bush or shrub would be okay if it were evergreen.
by loz on April 18, 2006 11:51 PM
I forgot to add that we're in zone 6.
by SpringFever on April 19, 2006 07:18 AM
Loz the only one I can find is the evergreen hemlock hedge, 4 seasons nursery 24 for $20.95.
Hope this helps,and good luck to your sis! [wavey]

-
 -
Tonight I am having friends for dinner... Hanibal Lector My Album
by obywan59 on April 19, 2006 08:27 AM
Loz, what about Green Giant arborvitae? We had a thread on that a couple of weeks ago.

Another thing I thought of was that bright red hedge rose, only it's not evergreen. It's gorgeous when it's in bloom. I can't remember the name of it, though.

-
Terry

May the force be with you
by joclyn on April 20, 2006 01:51 AM
oby, you're probably thinking of the burning bush. it makes a great statement!! beautiful bright red in the fall - stays green/reddish the rest of the time. very hardy and would do well in zone 6.

loz, is your sis looking for privacy or just something to deliniate the property line?

geez, there are a TON of things that would serve either purpose!! some that are trees some that are bushes - both evergreen types and others.

find out exactly what she's looking to do and we'd need to know what the conditions are - sunny or shady also direction as well as type of soil and wind conditions (if any).
by obywan59 on April 20, 2006 03:13 AM
No, I looked it up. This is what I was talking about:

Freedom Rose Hedge

-
Terry

May the force be with you
by loz on April 20, 2006 03:24 AM
That looks really nice Terry! [thumb]

I'd say she's looking more for a way to delineate the property---not so much for privacy....

And it's mostly sunny....a tad on the clayish side for the soil....but just a tad.

I guess I could sit down with my 30 gardening books and look for her! [Big Grin] I just thought some suggestions would be nice. I do like the roses though Terry, I'll have to tell her about them. [thumb]
by joclyn on April 20, 2006 10:24 AM
sorry, terry! i didn't register the 'rose' in your post!! wow! thanks for posting the link -that's a beautiful rose!!

okay, for deliniating i'd suggest: that rose that terry suggested, butterfly bush, lilac, forsythia, various bamboo (some get very tall), ornamental grasses, yucca (doesn't get too tall). all of these flower - i'm not to into plain old green stuff!

i'd also suggest various flowering bulbs, other perenials and groundcover to fill in spots and bring extra color to the 'fence'.

coneflowers are a really good perenial and any of the daisy's, too.

she could just do a bunch of regular roses too - with other things mixed in.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Live house plant LIVE!| Next thread: Living Oddball »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: