The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Sweet Pepper Jelly & More Jelly

Willy's Place » Members Favorite Recipes
« Prev thread: Sweet peas and dahlias...| Next thread: Sweet Pepper Relish »
Back to Thread index
by comfrey on August 20, 2006 02:54 PM
Green Pepper Jelly

7 sweet green peppers
1 jalapeno pepper
1-1/2 cups vinegar
1-1/2 cups apple juice
1/2 teaspoon salt
5 cups sugar
1 package powdered pectin
Green food coloring

Wash pepper; remove stems and seeds; cut into 1/2-inch squares. Puree half of the peppers and 3/4 cup vinegar in blender or food processor. Puree remaining peppers and vinegar. Pour into a large bowl and add apple juice. Cover and refrigerate overnight.

Strain pureed mixture through several thicknesses of damp cheesecloth. Measure 4 cups juice into large sauce pot. If necessary. add water to make 4 cups. Stir salt and pectin into juice. Bring to a rolling boil over high heat, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Skim foam if necessary. Add a few drops of green food coloring. Pour hot into hot, sterilized jars, leaving 1/4-inch head space. Adjust caps. Process 5 minutes in boiling water bath. Yield: about 6 half pints.

-
 -
by comfrey on August 20, 2006 03:00 PM
[flower] [flower] [flower] [flower] TK..Tammy Look:

Basil Jelly

6-1/2 cups sugar
1 cup white vinegar
1 cup basil leaves (lightly packed)
6 drops green food coloring
1- 6-ounce bottle liquid fruit pectin

In 8-10 quart pot combine sugar, vinegar, basil, food coloring and 2 cups water. Bring to boiling. Add pectin, bring mixture to rolling boil. Boil hard, uncovered, 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Remove Basil. Quickly skim foam with metal spoon. Pour at once into hot sterilized jars; seal. Makes 7 half-pints

-
 -
by comfrey on August 20, 2006 03:05 PM
Mint-Apple Jelly

4 cups canned apple juice
1 cup fresh mint leaves (lightly packed)
1- 1-3/4 ounce package powdered fruit pectin
6 drops green food coloring
4-1/2 cups sugar

In 8-10 quart pot, combine apple juice, mint, pectin and food coloring. Bring mixture to full rolling boil. Stir in sugar. Bring again to full rolling boil; boil hard, uncovered, 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Remove mint. Quickly skim off foam with metal spoon. Pour at once into hot sterilized jars; seal. Makes 6 half pints.

-
 -
by Triss on August 20, 2006 03:09 PM
Those are some GREAT recipes! Thanks for sharing them!

-
 -
We are all under the same stars... therefore we are never far apart.
by tkhooper on August 21, 2006 12:29 AM
Hi Comfrey,

What do you do with basil jelly? You have me stumped there.

But the Mint-Apple Jelly sound wonderful and I am definitely going to make that. That is if I can get enough mint. My patch is still pretty small.

-
 -
by comfrey on August 21, 2006 10:33 AM
TK...I am not sure, but seen that and thought that it looked like something you might want to try...I'd say it might be good to use as a sauce over meat, maybe baked in the over or ???? If you make some let us know what it taste like. It might be good spread on a bagel or biscuit.

-
 -
by shari13 on August 22, 2006 02:38 AM
maybe it could be put on crackers w/cream cheese....

shari
by Rosepetal on August 23, 2006 04:10 AM
Hi Comfrey

I asked for a pepper jelli a while ago and then found one later on. Mine is very close to yours.

I made it and I think I'm addicted, it is just delicious.

-
 -
For this "New Year" help me to be kinder and more loving to all around me, I pray.
by tkhooper on September 05, 2006 02:02 AM
I made the mint-apple jelly today. See what happens when I can't get on the website lol. Anyway it only made 2 1/2 pints for me so I'm going to use 4 1/2 cups of apple juice next time.

I used a boiling water process to seal the jars because I read that parafin may not be as safe. I had really good luck and all three jars sealed. What method do you use and how does it work for you?

-
 -
by comfrey on September 05, 2006 05:04 AM
Water boiling bath is the best method, an old neighbor lady doesn't even water bath them, she just puts the flats and rings on and turns them upside down and they seal. But waterbath processing, not only makes them seal, but also kills any bacteria that might still remain in your finished product. So by using the water bath method, you are ensuring that your product is safe to consume.

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Sweet peas and dahlias...| Next thread: Sweet Pepper Relish »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: