The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Overwintering geraniums

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
by Lily789 on August 19, 2004 12:47 AM
I'm planning on overwintering my geranium (pelargoniums) that are currently growing outside. It pains me to see them die out in the cold, freezing winter.

I have over a dozen of them...but thinking about dozens of big pots in my house filled with geraniums...ahhhh! I don't have that much space and certainly don't want to turn my house into a "plant store."

Any space-saving techniques to successfully overwinter them? What do you do?

Thanks for any help [Wink] !

~Lily
by Bill on August 19, 2004 02:03 AM
by weezie13 on August 19, 2004 04:49 AM
Lily,
My Granny used to hang her geraniums/pelargoniums upside down in her backroom of the house.
I can remember seeing them hanging when we'd go into the backroom *which had like her furnace, washer/dryer backdoor, mudroom like*

Give it a try, one year with just one if you don't feel too brave at first...
*I personally don't do this, as my I usually don't have enough to over winter and when I do, I do water mine with my house plants as I have all my house plants in the basement for the winter....

But give it a try??
You never know until you experiment!!!!

If you do, will you keep us posted on how it turned out???

Weezie

Here's the directions.......

Geraniums, they can be overwintered in a cool, humid place by digging them in the fall, shaking off most of the soil and hanging them upside down. The storage area must be cool and humid.

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by Bess of the Piedmont on August 20, 2004 11:09 PM
Hi Hon!

When my geraniums get too big to overwinter, I make a few small cuttings and root them in small pots to overwinter. They root so easily I don't even have to use root hormone. If you like, you can put a few cuttings in jars of water in a low light windowsill. they should root within two weeks. Then you can plant them in small pots.

I always apologize to the leggy mama plants when I toss them out, but their babies carry on, all fresh and new.

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: