The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

COFFEE GROUNDS

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: Coffee grinds| Next thread: Coffee Grounds »
Back to Thread index
by sonoranliz on July 10, 2005 03:01 PM
Living in the Southwest is a challenge. The soil is a HARDPAN CLAY here. It can be very difficult to grow things in. Due to the lack of any natural mulch and the fact we live in a flood plain during summer monsoon's; the soil is real alkaline. I heard that COFFEE GROUNDS (a good soil conditioner) add acid to the soil . I add them to every hole I dig. Recently, I put more than I meant to around a PHOTINIA FRASERI and now it's leaves look like they are burned. What do I add to try to counteract this mistake? I've been trying to water it more often than the others but may have to admit defeat and replant. Any suggestions?

Gardening in the desert,

Sonoranliz
by tkhooper on July 10, 2005 06:02 PM
Hi & Welcome to the forum. I don't have an answer for your problem I'm a beginning gardener myself. But I did want to say hi.
by JV on July 11, 2005 12:43 AM
Hey sonoranliz try crushed egg shells with your coffee grounds also mix some leaves in the soil water and epsom salts will help with coffee ground od. Hope that helps you some. In New Mexico we had heavy red clay in some area's and almost pure blow sand in other area's we would haul the sand and mix it with the clay makes a pretty good sandy loam clay type soil with benifits of each. Also mix a little small gravel (pea gravel is best) will help with drainage through the clay as does the sand.
Jimmy

-
 -
Meet Clyde my Male Sugar Glider. Clyde says.
Keep it organic
GOD BLESS THE U.S.A.
Pray for our Troops!

-
by sonoranliz on July 11, 2005 04:14 AM
Thanks for the advice and by the way, COFFEE GROUNDS are FREE for the taking at most STARBUCKS COFFEE places. They bag them up 5 lbs at a time and give to anybody that wants them for gardening purposes.

Gardening in the desert,

Sonoranliz

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Coffee grinds| Next thread: Coffee Grounds »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: