The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Leaves! Help!

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by packisnumber1 on April 11, 2006 09:07 AM
Hi. I am new to this site and to gardening. I have grown plants in pots indoors, but otherwise, I don't know the first thing about gardening. My question is. I live basically right smack in the middle of the woods. We get probably partial sun to partial shade depending on the time of day. I just moved here and there are already what could be very beautiful garden areas set up along our walkway into the house. There are also gardens along the front and rear wall of the house as well. Now, my problem is that I am trying to clear the area of leaves to see what I have to work with. I am having the darndest time getting the leaves and removing them. Is there some other way of doing this than using a rake, shovel, and wheelbarrow? I am just so frustrated. [Mad] Another question about landscaping: Upon "de-leaving" I realized that there is plastic underneath the soil. Unfortunately, I don't understand the benefit to this...for one. Also, there is a very THIN layer of soil over the plastic, about 1/2 in. or so, and in some places even, the plastic is actually showing. Should I remove the plastic? Should I put in more soil? Where do I get the soil? I hope these are not silly questions, but I am green at this, parden the pun, so I appreciate all the help I can get. Thanks!!
by SpringFever on April 11, 2006 08:26 PM
Hi Pack,
I get alot of leaves too.. try to rake them onto a tarp then put them where you want to..
The plastic I would remove it.I am sure whoever put it there was thinking it would help with weeds... But the land needs oxygen.. [Confused] [wavey] [flower] [flower]

-
 -
Tonight I am having friends for dinner... Hanibal Lector My Album
by packisnumber1 on April 11, 2006 08:40 PM
Thanks! I never thought to put them on a tarp, but that's a good idea. I was raking small piles then taking wheelbarrow loads away. It was hard because I had to take the wheelbarrow up and down our stairs, etc. The tarp should work pretty good. Thanks!

I will remove that plastic. I was reading some other posts on another topic about this plastic and everyone there seemed to agree on removing it.

Thanks again!! [clappy] [Big Grin]
by SpringFever on April 11, 2006 09:22 PM
No problem!!! Do you dump them in the woods?? If so why not start a compost for your new garden!! dump the lawn clippings ect?

-
 -
by packisnumber1 on April 11, 2006 09:54 PM
I was going to dump them in the woods. However, yesterday when I found this website I printed off the instructions on starting a new compost and am going to get that going! I've never done that before, either, but this site made it sound easy and worthwhile. Thanks! [flower]
by SpringFever on April 11, 2006 10:09 PM
Good luck there is a never ending abundance of help here!!! welcome and good luck [thumb] [wavey]

-
 -
by Longy on April 12, 2006 02:57 AM
Hi number1. I agree about the plastic. Rip it out. People do weird things.
If you have leaves, you have a useful resource. All the nutrient that the trees put into making those leaves, is coming from your soil. As they break down, they form a layer of humus which in turn supplies nutrient to the trees. The only other form of nutrient the soil receives is what animals and birds bring in. If you take away the leaves, you are slowly taking away your soil nutrient. SO by all means use them as compost, mulch whatever. Oh and try and think of them as a good thing:-) (Personally i'd be tempted to get some leaves from the woods too. As i said. People do weird things ).

-
The secret is the soil.
by SpringFever on April 12, 2006 04:33 AM
LOL longy I wish you were in my yard last week 12 bags of leaves!! I would of been happy if you took them [Big Grin] [Big Grin] I have 5 oak trees in my yard and some drop in fall some finish in spring!! pain in the neck!!!

-
 -
by flycats on April 12, 2006 11:13 PM
I used to use one of those plastic full size garbage cans and put the leaves in there, then haul it to the street. Now I bought one of those collapsable mesh bins..you can get them for cheap at Linens n THings or other stores. cool! Won't get to try it out til next Fall! Sounds like you have way more leaves than me though. Good luck!

The cat's asleep, I whisper "kitten", until he stirs a little and begins to purr.
by packisnumber1 on April 12, 2006 11:45 PM
I have SO many leaves here! We live in the middle of the forest, literally...surrounded by trees on all sides of the house except the little area our driveway comes up to the house. It's crazy! I tried the tarp idea yesterday and that worked pretty good in the areas it's too darn hard to navigate a wheelbarrow. Thanks for all the help everyone! [wavey]
by SpringFever on April 13, 2006 01:50 AM
Happy to help Pack glad it worked out for ya!! [clappy] I am sure you are going to love your new place!! Keep us posted on all the things you discover in your new home!! [thumb]

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: