The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

help on ground cover

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: help needed raised beds| Next thread: Help on Lily bulbs! »
Back to Thread index
by flamona on August 16, 2004 06:12 AM
Need help on losw ground cover. zone 9b . Thought creeping thyme would do but start reading about it and some say ok otherssay needs sun. I really need some ground cover for shade around the pavers I'm laying in the walk way. help please [tears]
by frustratedattimes on August 16, 2004 01:14 PM
How about some periwinkle??? It spreads nicely, and has some nice lavender colored blooms.

I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Wayne
http://community.webshots.com/user/johncandy1005
by flamona on August 17, 2004 05:13 AM
Guess I didn't give all the info for the ground cover I need....Grow in Shade , zone9 and one that will grow between the pavers and walking on it will not bother it. I would guess it needs to grow thick and be able to bounce back if stepped on. I did go to the "stepables" site but nothing there fits what I need. Are there mints that might fit?? Boy what I thought would be easy to find has turned into a real chore. [scaredy]
by woodenlisten on August 17, 2004 06:22 AM
If you can't find an ideal groundcover, maybe you might consider the newer brightly colored mulchs. Red or brick, sometimes it is made of ground up tires. I have even used colored play sand, comes in all different colors at Home depot. It is pretty sterile so it will not grow weeds either. Just a thought!
by Back Mountain NEPA on August 17, 2004 10:21 PM
How about ajuga? It's good in your zone and some varieties, such as the kind I have, grow very flat except when flowering. You just mow over it like grass. It's actually so prolific it can be a grass substitute. It's very hardy and is drought resistant. No drought here this year, however! Far from it...
http://www.thegardenhelper.com/ajuga.html
Irish Moss is also good for your zone and is really pretty. I've found, however, that it is slow to spread. Buying started plants can be expensive for a large area. I've never tried it from seed, but would love to use it as ground cover around all my shrubs. I'm not sure if its walk-on hardy, however.
http://www.swallowtailgardenseeds.com/perennials/moss_irish.html
Good Luck
by flamona on August 19, 2004 03:44 AM
Thanks for the ideas. I think the ajuga might fit the bill. The moss said only up to zone 5 and not in humid or hot weather, which sure leaves this part of the country out. This is one hot and humid August in Florida. I did need a soft type of plant between the flat pavers as my husband has a very hard time walking on gravel or mulch. So tomorrow I go to the nursery and see what they have. Thanks again Back Mountian and Woodenlisten
for your help.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: help needed raised beds| Next thread: Help on Lily bulbs! »
Back to Thread index