The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Plastic lining

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Plastic Bottle Propagation| Next thread: Plastic mulches... »
Back to Thread index
by ktownmom on April 05, 2006 10:55 PM
The previous owners had plastic all in throughout the beds here. I cannot stand plastic [Razz] I don't see the point as there is weeds growing all through it anyways. So I want to pull it up. Should I do this once the new spring growth is up more? Should I wait until fall (please don't vote this one)?

Denise
by peppereater on April 05, 2006 11:23 PM
ktown...I'd pull up what you can now...you might do less damage than if you wait. Maybe take some sharp scissors and cut it wherever you have to and ease it out.

-
Dave
Even my growlights are getting restless!
by ktownmom on April 05, 2006 11:34 PM
Thanks! There isn't much soil on top so I am thinking it should be fairly easy. I will tackle it today.

Denise
by dodge on April 06, 2006 08:07 AM
i AGREE.........

BEFORE YOU HAVE THE WEEDS AND PLANTS TAKING HOLD , IS THE BEST TIME..

i AM PUZZLED BY THAT BLACK PLASTIC ALSO.. tHEY PUT IT DOWN, AND SOME PUT LOTS OF BARK ON TOP. HOW DOES THE PLANT GET NUTRITION FROM NEW COMPOSE?

DODGE

-
 -
''''Those who live in the Lord Never See Each Other For The Last Time!''''
by packisnumber1 on April 11, 2006 09:10 AM
I have the plastic problem here also! It's very frustrating. I don't understand how plants are even supposed to grow roots at all if they are stopped by this plastic stuff anyway.
by Longy on April 12, 2006 04:20 AM
If you want to get a bit savage removing the plastic, but are afraid of damaging the plant roots, Get a bottle of seaweed 'juice'. Rip away the plastic like crazy, then when you've finished, chip out any weeds which remain and give the area a good soaking. You can leave the weeds where they fall. Then apply the seaweed juice at the recommended rate. Add some organic all purpose fertilizer like pelletised chicken manure and mulch the area. Water again. Any damage you do to the roots will be minimised by the seaweed and any new growth you knock about will be quickly replaced. Do it once, do it properly:-)

-
The secret is the soil.
by kyjoy on April 14, 2006 12:15 AM
As suggested under another topic, after removing the plastic and before applying mulch, sprink Preen all around. Not only will it keep weeds from germinating, it will also fertilize. Be sure to purchase Preen that has fertilizer added.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Plastic Bottle Propagation| Next thread: Plastic mulches... »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: