The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

stuffing peppers

Willy's Place » Members Favorite Recipes
« Prev thread: stuffed tomatoes| Next thread: Stumpy »
Back to Thread index
by kennyso on August 08, 2006 02:27 AM
Hi this might sound kinda stupid, but I'm sure I've asked worse ones before! How do you stuff peppers and what types of pepper do you use (you can stop laughing now). Thanks a million!

-
 -

Blessed are the meek, for they shall possess the earth
My Website My Blog
by SpringFever on August 08, 2006 02:43 AM
what kind of peppers are you wanting to stuff? Bell peppers or hot peppers? [dunno]

-
 -
Tonight I am having friends for dinner... Hanibal Lector My Album
by kennyso on August 08, 2006 05:03 AM
My mom grew jalepeno peppers, can you use those, won't they be too hot (no one eats hot stuff here) I'd like to try stuffing my bell peppers.

-
 -

My Website My Blog
by Triss on August 08, 2006 05:50 AM
You can use jalepeno peppers in a chili relleno dish. It can be hot, but then it is meant to be.

Stuffed bell peppers are really good also. I could find my recipes for either if you are interested.

-
 -
We are all under the same stars... therefore we are never far apart.
by kennyso on August 08, 2006 07:28 AM
thanks so much Triss, can't wait to try them. for some reason, this year I've had more bell pepper than I've even collected in all my gardening years (not many in case you were wondering!)

-
 -

My Website My Blog
by Triss on August 08, 2006 09:10 AM
STUFFED PEPPERS

2 large green bell peppers
3/4 lb sausage (or hanburger)
1/2 chopped onion
3 cloves garlic (minced)
2 tomatoes diced
1/3 cup bread crumbs or rice (we have used both)
1 TBPS worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp basil
1/2 tsp oregano
1/2 cup cheese (your choice on flavor)

Brown meat along with onions and garlic. Drain this mixture and mix in all other ingredients except the cheese. Sautee for a few minutes to warm everything. Remove from heat and mix in cheese. Fill peppers with mixture and bake at 375 for about 15 minutes.

CHILI RELLENOS CASSEROLE

Roasted chili's, peeled and sliced, no seeds
montery jack cheese, grated
4 egg whites
1/4 cup flour
1 cup milk

Mix the egg whites, flour and milk together. In an 8x8 baking pan, spready a little of the egg mixture. Layer the chili, then cheese and repeat until you have used all the ingredients.

Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes.

You can use any kinds of chili's for this depending on if you want mild or hot.

-
 -
by kennyso on August 09, 2006 08:39 AM
sounds great, going to try it tomorrow. Growing up in a Chinese family, he only thing I'v eseen being stuffed is bittermelon, eggplant and tofu. But those all use fishpaste and they they're pan fried/grilled.

-
 -

My Website My Blog
by Triss on August 09, 2006 10:40 AM
Lemme know how you like it!

-
 -
by chenno on August 10, 2006 09:57 AM
I stuff bell and red, yellow etc, with a simple ground turkey, tomato soup and rice and corn, top with cheese and bake, same with cabbage rolls...

jalapeno, slice and stuff with cream cheese and crabmeat and broil a bit?

my mom stuffs green peps with hashbrowns cream mush soup and cheese and tops with bacon???

-
 -
Painting is silent poetry, and poetry is painting that speaks.
Plutarch
by kennyso on August 10, 2006 03:07 PM
chenno, going to try your's and you mom's version, both sound equally good! I never knew you could stuff cream cheese in peppers! I've only seen jalepeno's stuffed with cheese and fried/baked. gotta try that!

triss, EXCELLENT RECEPIE! I loved it, so good! My sister want more cheese in hers so I dumped cheese over her portion when the whole batch were done and put it in the oven to bake and melt the cheese: I've never heard he make so many GOOD comments about my dishes before! thanks so much!

hmm...just wondering, why aren't those cheese stuffed jalepenos from the supermarket spicy hot? is it because frying them and baking them makes the 'cap-e-say-in' (my spelling isn't so good) go away?

-
 -

My Website My Blog
by Triss on August 10, 2006 03:15 PM
What did you try Kenny??? I am so glad you liked it. And that the family liked it. When you can impress a sister, that is GOOD! [grin]

Supermarket chilies are probably the less spicy ones like an anaheim. They wanna make sure a lot of people can eat them, not just chili lovers.

-
 -
by Dixie Angel on August 10, 2006 03:18 PM
I have been wanting some stuffed bell peppers for awhile now, but did not know how Momma made them. Triss, I think your recipe looks like what she had in them, so I will be trying these, too. Thank you for posting it...

Dianna

-
 -
by chenno on August 10, 2006 03:52 PM
Kenny, the stuffed jalapenos when seeded and stuffed with cream cheese and crab are so good, broiled or heated...and the heat is cut with cream cheese.let me know if you try it..

-
 -
Plutarch
by kennyso on August 11, 2006 02:07 AM
triss, I tried the bell peppers, gonna try chenno's recepies tonite and will try the casserole on monday (I hope they aren't tired of eating peppers yet, I had many 'leftovers' when I tried before I asked for recipies!) chenno, gonna take you word for it bout takin out the seeds (silly me, I forgot to when I first tried stuffing those and they were so hot, guess all the hot stuf is in the seeds. You think it's ok to coat these in batter and fry them (sounds kinda like movie food!)

-
 -

My Website My Blog
by ChristinaC on August 11, 2006 02:26 AM
Hi Kenny [wavey]
You can also be creative and stuff them with absolutely anything you want...anything you think will taste good with peppers. I've had leftover roast chk and just chopped it up and mixed it with mushrooms, onions, seasoning and topped with cheese...also..leftover tuna salad...anything really. Try anything you want. [thumb]
Have you ever roasted peppers to char the skin and then peeel the skin off? Oh yum...roasted peppers mixed with a little olive oil, lemon juice, garlic and basil is GREAT!!

-
 -
by penny in ontario on August 11, 2006 02:50 AM
Those sound really yummy and the kids LOVE peppers [thumb] ...thanks!!

-
 -

-
by chenno on August 11, 2006 04:04 AM
Yes, you can deep fry them...That would be good...
kinda like those poppers filled with cheese and breaded and deep fried..yum!

-
 -
Plutarch
by kennyso on August 11, 2006 11:03 AM
quote:
Originally posted by ChristinaC:
Have you ever roasted peppers to char the skin and then peeel the skin off? Oh yum...roasted peppers mixed with a little olive oil, lemon juice, garlic and basil is GREAT!!
That was exactly what my mom did when I was small! I used to refuse to eat vegetables with their peels on so she would roast a small plate of vegetables for me once a week (that was the only time I ate vegetable) The lemon juice and everything also works well with any type of roasted vegetables.

-
 -

My Website My Blog
by chenno on August 11, 2006 01:32 PM
split them down the sides. Stuffs them with Cheddar cheese, and then roll them in a cheddar and sausage mix, bakes them—they are to die for!
350 for like 12-20mins
To make the sausage/cheese mix, just buy a tube of breakfast sausage (like Jimmy Dean) and mix it with cheese, a few tablespoons of bisquick. Roll it out like cookie dough and roll each jap in it like a pig in the blanket.

-
 -
Plutarch
by Dyna on September 17, 2006 08:09 PM
Kennyso,

Have you tried putting your fully baked (with cheese on top) in the freezer? You can bring them out within 6 months, heat them for 7 min. in the microwave, and have a ready made home cooked meal any time.
by Dyna on September 17, 2006 08:16 PM
Kennyso,

I saute (sliced to shoestrings) bell peppers (any color) in a little olive oil with onions cut the same way, add some salt and when cooked through put them in an omlette. You can also add these to any stir-fry recipe or freeze them into recipe portions. No need for any of those wonderful bell peppers to go to waste. Don't forget to add the name and date to anything put into the freezer--I have learned from experience.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: stuffed tomatoes| Next thread: Stumpy »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: