The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Dill canning recipe for pickles (maybe more!)

Willy's Place » Members Favorite Recipes
by Danno on August 07, 2006 03:42 AM
DILL PICKLE (yeild = 1 jar I suggest using widemouth lids)

3-4 cucumbers speared
1/4 tsp. alum per jar
1 clove garlic
3 stems of dill leaves (pluck the leaves from stems)
1 tsp. red pepper flakes
1/2 c. cider vinegar
1/2 c. pickling salt
1-1/2 c water
Grape leaves (optional)

Wash cucumbers and let stand in cold water over night. Drain. Place in hot sterilized jars.

To each quart add 1/4 teaspoon alum, garlic, dill and red pepper. Combine vinegar, salt and

water. Heat to boiling.
Add to pickles. Add grape leaves and seal. NOTE: Grape leaves keeps end of pickles from

turning dark.

NOTE: I didnt use grape leaves, and i have NOT tried this recipe yet. if you like, i have

a few jars that i made up that will be ready to eat come Aug. 15th your more than welcome to

have a jar and see if this recipe is good? Also did not use a hot pepper in them, but think

this would stand out TERRIFIC!

If you have any BREAD & BUTTER recipes for pickling, please send them with abby! I love

these and cant find a recipe that sounds good yet.

Enjoy! And lemme know if u want a jar of these pickles [Smile]

BY THE WAY: Cut 1/4" off each end of the pickle spear, or discard teh end slices if doing

sliced pickles. There is an enzyme from the blossom that will soften the pickles to mush

i'm told.

Average waiting to eat is approximately 6 weeks, this is a fermenting recipe, not a

quickpacking. And from what i'm told, these will stay good for over a year! Just make sure

to properly can (boil the lids & jar for 10 minutes, and when everythings in the jar & lid

is on boil another 10-15). Also dont be afraid when your pickles juice becomes cloudy. Its

a normal stage of the fermenting process, as is garlic turning blueish in color, and the

innermost part of the pickles spears become hazy/cloudy and look like disolved sugar almost.

THIS IS NORMAL [Smile]

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: