The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

In desperate need of pest control

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: improving potato yield| Next thread: in door banana plant »
Back to Thread index
by kinni on August 13, 2004 08:03 PM
I live in AL. The bugs are indomitable, and the weeds and undergrowth that foster them are far beyond control. Most of the plants on my (not so screened in) porch do just fine with a biweekly inspection and some sissy bug spray, but then there's the moonflower. It seems to be plagued by very tiny whitish bugs, which also appear to build webs. They're causing the foliage to turn mottled and eventually brown and die. I need a pre-emptive strategy. Would a citronella, or similarly pungent herb in a planter nearby suffice? Also, my boyfriend has severe problems with insect bites. I'd like to be able to enjoy our little porch garden with him, so any suggestions on long lasting, non-toxic (for cats) pest control would be greatly welcomed. Thanks.
by catlover on August 13, 2004 08:44 PM
Welcome Kinni to The Garden Helper [wayey]
I can't help you with your bug problem but I have a feeling those bugs on your plant (
quote:
It seems to be plagued by very tiny whitish bugs, which also appear to build webs
) are white flies! Go to the top of the page in the google area and type in white flies....Are they white flies??? [dunno] I get them on my hibiscus sometimes....I have used a systemic solution (applied to the ground)as well as the soap and water....if you use the soap and water make sure to rinse your plant afterwards. I know some use the sticky yellow paper as well....but I have yet to try that one.

"IF" you have mosquitoes I have heard that a white bowl filled with water and lemon joy works....they fly in and can't get out....I would keep that away from the cat and maybe put it in the yard somewhere!!! If you have any standing water....such as in old tires, pots, etc. to dump those right away. That West Nile fever is not a joke....we had one person die in
Vista, and another in Long Beach just recently...and now heard a horse has it in Bonsall which is only about 8 miles from here. [scaredy]

Hopefully someone can offer you other suggestions about your other bugs!
Catlover [kitty] [wayey]

-
 -
 -
by hisgal2 on August 13, 2004 11:46 PM
I'm really allergic to bits as well. I usually light a citronella candle and put it right under my seat...it works....sometimes. Also, anything with deet in it works well...they hate deet. You can even buy straight deet some places. Just to let you know. [Smile]

-
 -

-

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: improving potato yield| Next thread: in door banana plant »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: