The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

How to freeze green beans?

Willy's Place » Members Favorite Recipes
by fespo on July 21, 2006 12:08 PM
I'm having a great year for green beans and I would like know to freeze them for later. I didn't know if there was anything speacial I should do first. Thanks Fespo
by Amigatec on July 21, 2006 12:38 PM
You need to blanch them first,

In a blanching pot or large pot with a tight fitting lid, bring 5 quarts of water to a rolling boil.

Meanwhile, wash beans, trim stem ends and cut into1-inch pieces or leave whole.

Blanch no more than one pound at a time. Add beans to boiling water and immediately cover with a tight fitting lid.

Start timing immediately and blanch for four minutes.

Prepare an ice water bath in a large 5-quart container or the sink.

Remove beans from water with slotted a spoon or blanching basket.

Emerge in the ice water bath for five minutes or until cooled. If you do not have ice, use several changes of cold water or running cold water. Remove and drain.

Pack cold beans in zip-closure freezer bags or freezer containers. Squeeze out as much air as possible before sealing bags.

Label and date each container or bag. Immediately place in the freezer, allowing an inch of space around each container until it is frozen. Freeze for up to one year at 0 degrees F. or below.

Blanching water can be used over and over again. Add more water if necessary. Remember to always bring water back to a rolling boil before blanching more vegetables.

Hope this helps.

-
 -
One OS to rule them, one OS to find them:
One OS to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the Land of Redmond where the shadows lie.
by ChristinaC on July 21, 2006 12:56 PM
Blanch them?
I pick mine, wash them, then freeze them. They've always kept for me this way and they cook beautifully.

-
 -
by fespo on July 21, 2006 01:09 PM
I'm going to try both ways. My mom says to blanch them and my wife said to just freeze them. I best try both ways and I still wont be right. [Smile]
by mom54 on July 23, 2006 01:44 AM
After I blanch them, I put them on cookie sheets and freeze them. That way they don't all stick together and I can take what I need!!!!

-
by chenno on July 23, 2006 03:01 AM
I do the same as Mom54, blanch, freeze and bag:-)
Good luck.

-
 -
Painting is silent poetry, and poetry is painting that speaks.
Plutarch
by Amigatec on July 23, 2006 04:42 AM
I have tried just freezing and they come out chewy. Blanching kills the enzymes, and brings the color out better. I can most things now.

-
 -
One OS to rule them, one OS to find them:
One OS to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the Land of Redmond where the shadows lie.
by comfrey on July 26, 2006 12:22 PM
They really should be blanched for food safety. But when cooking the blanched one's be careful to not over cook them when you take them out of the freezer as they will cook fast and if cooked to long will be mushy. I can mine, even though it is a little more work, but I like the taste better, and all those jars look nice on my pantry shelves. Also if you live in a place that is prone to power outages, you don't have to worry about your beans thawing out and being no good.

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: