The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

THE STUMP..& The Cat Cemetary

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: The Stress Diet| Next thread: The Tommyknocker River »
Back to Thread index
by Oui on February 08, 2006 08:39 PM
Anybody have any suggestions re what to do with this stump? This is part of my Wild Out Back project.
 -

The Cat Cemetery; I have 3 of my cats buried near the stone angel that you see. Their graves are marked with slate stones. I would love some suggestions as to what to do with this area..Again this is part of my "Wild Out Back Project"..
 -
by loz on February 09, 2006 02:06 AM
With the stump, I'd level the top off and indent the middle and put a liner in there for a birdbath, or just fill it with birdseed...

Or put some dirt in it and grow flowers out of the top! [flower]
by luckygardnr on February 10, 2006 12:43 AM
I've always wanted a big ol' stump. I'd hollow out the top, drill a couple of drainage holes and plant it with trailing flowers. Good luck!

Laurel
by weezie13 on February 10, 2006 02:08 AM
I have two cut down tree stumps in my "Back~40" garden, and I've had them for about 9 years now..
They are starting to disintegrate...
*I put nails in them, and strung 100lb test fishing wire on it, but I think that is adding to the faster demise of the stumps...*
I had a clematis growing up one and sweet peas growing up the other.. it was cute..

The one stump had like 3 stumps actually and I got
wrought iron statues stuff like, 3 were like Chinese Lanterns and one was a FROG...
all could hold candles in them..

I love your cat memorial...
*We have one up on the hill on my parents property, there's 6 of them there..*

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by mrsmessy on February 10, 2006 10:21 AM
I used to plant Alyssum around a large stump and it looked really pretty. If it's rotted you might be able to get enough soil into a few openings to plant small flowers. It looks like it would get enough sun to support some morning glories. Otherwise, I've known Clematis to grow in some unlikely spots.

-
Bev
by Oui on February 10, 2006 10:14 PM
I am thinking of holding it together with exterior wood putty and paint or stain...Hummmm...
by penny in ontario on February 11, 2006 04:03 AM
i hate snakes and thats a big snake. i have heard of a few ways to get rid of them, (have no idea if they worked though), try marigolds(lots) they dont like the smell, i have heard of the moth balls (just be careful around kids) and salt-table salt, i read in a gardening magazine that a lady put down table salt and they hated it but you would have to apply after each rain [dunno] Like i said, these are just have i have heard but have never tried myself.

Good luck...
Penny
by comfrey on February 11, 2006 08:49 AM
Another way to keep the snake out is to get some tick/flea granules and and spread it around in a large circle around the area you want to plant. The snakes will not cross the area where the granules was sprinkled, it like crawling threw glass for them and keeps them out. I like your cat cemetery also, I would do alot of bulbs like outlining where the graves are with bulbs.

-
 -
by Oui on February 11, 2006 08:56 AM
Okay thanks for the advice I will try it.
by rue anemone on February 16, 2006 04:39 AM
Good idea Comfry about the bulbs marking the grave sites.

I saw a picture of a stump planted with sempervivum and sedum. The sedum draped down over the side. It was very attractive.

-
 -
by comfrey on February 16, 2006 12:22 PM
I have cat grave out back and planted tulip bulbs to mark the area...Everytime I see the flowers in bloom it reminds me of my beloved Shorty.

-
 -
by neko nomad on February 17, 2006 02:57 AM
This may look like what you're aiming for, oui.

a.There's a four foot margin next to the back fence,
and a lilac hedge in the making. (you could use rhododendrons)

b. This view is accented by a pink crabapple branch
trained in ikebana fashion. (you could use dogwood)

c. The birdbath could replace that stump once it's gone.

-
click photo for a larger picture.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: The Stress Diet| Next thread: The Tommyknocker River »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: