The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Sum & Substance Hosta question

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: Suicidal Cardinal| Next thread: Sumac?? »
Back to Thread index
by MaryReboakly on July 02, 2005 08:28 AM
One of my birthday presents was a sum & substance hosta. So, I'm a little bit of a hosta freak, and love every vareity, but have always 'dreamed' of having the huge s&s in my garden. So, here's the situation. I don't have many 'finished' (ie killed grass and plantable) flower beds. I've got no room right now, but will in the spring. I don't want to lose this baby! Can I repot into a larger pot, and will it be okay to put in the ground next spring? Or, would it be better to plant it in the ground, even if it's not in a prepared bed, and then move it in the spring when the bed is ready for it? Thanks!

-
 -
by Storm on July 02, 2005 11:54 AM
I got a couple of Hostas last year and didn't know where I'd put them so I just dug a hole for them and planted pot and all until this year. In the Spring, I replanted them into a bed.

Maybe that would work for you?
by MaryReboakly on July 02, 2005 12:11 PM
Hey Storm, thanks for answering! Your idea is great, [thumb] My concern is the size of this particular hosta. It gets pretty huge, and I don't know if leaving it in a pot will constrict it's growth and hurt it...I know these get like 3' high & wide, so even if I put it in a tree sized pot, I'm not sure it'd be big enough [dunno] The good thing is, the pot I got has 3 in it, so I guess I can try putting 1 in the ground somewhere, leaving 1 in a pot and burying it, and (insert another idea here) [Big Grin]

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Suicidal Cardinal| Next thread: Sumac?? »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: