The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Rolled Bamboo Privacy Fence HELP

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Roll out gardens?| Next thread: rolly polly problem »
Back to Thread index
by MrKing.net on April 11, 2005 08:33 AM
i have a chain link fence, that I dont want taken out, but I also want

privacy fence, thus my dilemma.

The wife told me of a show she watched that had Rolled Bamboo Fencing

attached to a Chain Link Fence to make a Privacy Fence.

I have done a search online for information, but I am wondering if

anyone here has it or has seen it or has an opinion on it.

I have not yetr found anyplace in Indiana that sells Rolled Bamboo

Fencing.

I have thought about the "slats" that fit into the fence, but they simply

dont go high enough. Also, they would be far to flexible past the height

of the Chain Link Fence. The chain Link fence I have is of regular height. If it were 6ft tall i would simply use the slats that fill the holes in the Chain Link fence.

Unless there is another Option, I am unaware of?

any information or idea's would be appreciated.

Free $25 for signup www.greenzap.com/poker
by ylane on April 11, 2005 04:26 PM
I work at a small greenhouse in our area and I noticed just the other day he got a shipment in that included rolls of bamboo fencing and some that looked like rustic "twig" fencing. I don't know how expensive or anything because it hasn't been priced yet. I just know it is available. Maybe 3 to 4 feet tall.
by tkhooper on April 11, 2005 05:53 PM
Hi,

What I've seen isn't that sturdy. And it was older and had broken and missing canes. It could just be that it wasn't well cared for. I don't have much information to help you with I'm sorry.

Are you in a place where you could plant bamboo it does grow to make a great screening plant and can go plenty high enough for privacy. But it grows fast and is invasive in a lot of places.

-
 -
by detectorbill on March 25, 2006 11:13 PM
How high do you want your privacy fence? Your probably going to have to incorporate some building of some kind to get the height you want anyway, so maybe use the short slats (Cut them off at cyclone height) then build a lattice top. Reebar will be handy. Seen a show where they took rebar and bamboo and intertwined it horizontally maybe you could do that somehow for the top?? Good luck.

I feel more like I do now than I did before I ever felt this way.
by peppereater on March 26, 2006 12:08 AM
The kind I've seen lasts at least 3 or 4 years, but squirrels love to chew it up. It can last longer, 7 or 8 years, if wind and weather don't tear it up, but it is somewhat temporary. I've seen a catalog for different kinds, but I can't remember the company name.

-
Dave
Even my growlights are getting restless!
by Longy on March 27, 2006 12:24 AM
In order to make a fence strong enough to hold a screen, such as a bamboo screen, you will need to extend the height of the posts. This is quite simple to do with a chainlink fence as you can just buy extensions for the posts. Another rail about 4" from the top of the posts too would be ideal, but a double twisted strand of heavy gauge fencing wire would probably suffice.
Then you won't need to spend so much on free standing fence panels.
There are panels made from brush, like a woven mat of twigs, which last for many years. Google "brush fencing" for a look at what i'm talking about.
Or the bamboo screens are also attractive and are quite tolerant of extreme weather. I dunno about critters eating them. I did a quick google and came up with this site.
http://www.mastergardenproducts.com/bamboofences&more.htm
I like the rolled twig fences on this site .
Google "bamboo panel screen fence" for more sites.
There are also plastic lattices available these days, which don't have the maintenance problems of timber lattices.
Finally there is the option which TK suggested (onya TK) of a living screen, such as from bamboo. There are literally hundreds of bamboos to choose from, which can handle all ranges of climate from freezing high altitudes to tropical rainforest and from 8' high to 150' high. Do not use running bamboo. Clumping bamboos are the only sensible option in a garden situation unless you have acres of land.

-
The secret is the soil.
by flycats on March 28, 2006 06:00 AM
Plow and Hearth catalog has a willow screen that looks nice. kinda pricy, $54 for a 10 foot long section 5 foot tall. I've seen the bamboo ones too but can't remember where...probably about the same price..

The cat's asleep, I whisper "kitten", until he stirs a little and begins to purr.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Roll out gardens?| Next thread: rolly polly problem »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: