The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Can you identify this culprit?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by floweringchild on October 02, 2006 09:04 AM
Hey ya'll [wavey]

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE [Love] butterflies! Really. But ..... I found this caterpillar eating my perennial hibiscus. [scaredy] I'd like to know if someone can identify this caterpillar. Take a look.
 -

Here's an underneath view!
 -

What would this caterpillar have turned into?
Sorry, I had to get rid of it, my plant comes first.

And I blamed it on slugs, imagine that.

-
 -
by afgreyparrot on October 02, 2006 09:33 AM
That is an Io Moth Caterpillar.

info

-
 -
 -
Buckle up! It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car!
by afgreyparrot on October 02, 2006 09:45 AM
By the way...those are some NICE pictures! [thumb]

-
 -
 -
Buckle up! It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car!
by Kratz7 on October 02, 2006 09:38 PM
Wow! Nice Photos!

I was just checking the info on the culprit and don't think I would want the caterpillar in my back yeard, but the end result is a pretty butterfly...

thanks for the info and heads up...I hope I don't ever come in contact with one of those...lol....lol

-  -  -  -  -  -

-

Kratz7 Photos
by floweringchild on October 03, 2006 03:29 AM
Hi Cindy,
Thanks for taking the time to identify this caterpillar. As a result of your identification, I was able to do a little research on "Io Moth Caterpillars", and ugggh, I need to watch out for these poisonous, venomous creatures. Thanks for the compliment of my pictures! It's one of my favorite pastimes.

Kratz7,
Thanks! I was a little disturbed after I did the reading on Io Moth Caterpillars too. Wow, ya'll, this is good info for all of us to be aware of.

-
 -
by floweringchild on October 06, 2006 06:21 AM
Well, I'm checking my hibiscus leaves everyday for these critters, very destructive. [scaredy]

I found two adults yesterday, and babies as well. Then today, I found two more adults and this.

-

Needless to say I'm not a happy camper about it. [Frown]

-
 -

Active Garden Forum