The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Deviled easter eggs

Willy's Place » Members Favorite Recipes
« Prev thread: Devil's Ivy Loosing Leaves| Next thread: deviled eggs? »
Back to Thread index
by MissJamie on April 11, 2006 12:35 AM
I got this in a newsletter and thought it'd be nice to share with ya'll since Easter is this sunday! [thumb]
Deviled Easter eggs

Just about everyone loves deviled eggs. So what better time to learn a few clever tips, tricks and deviled-egg secrets than now, when eggs are plentiful and priced right?

The best eggs for "deviling" are small eggs. Once prepared, a small deviled egg can be handled and eaten more gracefully.

Set the egg carton on its side in the refrigerator a day before you plan to boil the eggs. For some reason, this "centers" the yolks in each egg and makes the most attractive deviled eggs.

Place the eggs in a medium saucepan, cover them with water and bring to a boil over high heat. Remove the pan from the heat, cover and let stand for 10 minutes.

Meanwhile, fill a medium bowl with 1 quart cold water and about 14 ice cubes(one tray). Transfer the eggs to ice water with a slotted spoon; let sit five minutes. Peel.

GENERAL INSTRUCTIONS: After boiling and peeling, slice a scant nickel-sized piece of egg from each end to make them stable. Now, halve the eggs crosswise, not lengthwise. Notice how each half resembles a tiny cup and has a "flat" bottom that allows it to sit upright without wobbling on the plate. Look over your egg-white halves. Discard the two halves that are the least perfect. Now you will have enough filling to make sure all remaining halves are well-stuffed.

Carefully scoop the yolk from each egg half into a quart-size zipper bag, not into a bowl. Add other ingredients, zip and "knead" the bag with your hand to mix all of the ingredients well. Press the yolk mixture toward one of the bottom corners. With a pair of scissors, carefully snip a small bit of the corner from the bag. You now have a neat "pastry bag" from which you can pipe the mixture into the prepared egg-white halves. When you're finished, simply throw the bag away. No muss, no fuss, no cleanup.

Once they are prepared, refrigerate the deviled eggs for at least one hour before serving.

CLASSIC DEVILED EGGS: 12 eggs, 1 teaspoon paprika, 4 tablespoons mayonnaise, 1 teaspoon dry mustard.

DECADENT DEVILED EGGS: 12 eggs, 2 teaspoons dry mustard, 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce, 1 teaspoon hot-pepper sauce, 1/4 teaspoon celery salt, 1/2 cup butter, softened.

CHEDDAR-BACON DEVILED EGGS: 12 eggs, 1/2 cup mayonnaise, 4 slices bacon (fried, cooled and crumbled), 2 tablespoons finely shredded Cheddar cheese, 1 tablespoon prepared mustard.

SPICY-ITALIAN DEVILED EGGS: 12 eggs, 2 tablespoons spicy-brown mustard, 2 tablespoons Italian salad dressing, 1/2 cup mayonnaise, 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper or to taste, 1 teaspoon salt or to taste. Sprinkle finished eggs with paprika.

ZESTY DEVILED EGGS: 12 eggs, 1/2 cup mayonnaise, 4 tablespoons finely chopped onion, 6 tablespoons sweet-pickle relish, 2 tablespoon prepared horseradish, 1 tablespoon prepared mustard, salt and pepper to taste, and paprika for garnish.

enjoy! [kissies]

-
 -
*~*Last night I played a blank tape at full blast. The mime next door went nuts.
*~* http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=2125497034
by Triss on April 11, 2006 12:41 AM
Jamie,

I would have never thought to slice the eggs that way but I am going to try it this year as well as the different versions of the filling!

Thanks for sharing!

-
 -
We are all under the same stars... therefore we are never far apart.
by penny in ontario on April 11, 2006 01:19 AM
those sound really good, thanks

-
 -

-
by MissJamie on April 11, 2006 02:09 PM
you're both welcome! I LOVE deviled eggs so I think I might try making some of these different kinds myself [Wink]

-
 -
*~*Last night I played a blank tape at full blast. The mime next door went nuts.
*~* http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=2125497034
by penny in ontario on April 11, 2006 10:29 PM
me too, i love them and its always nice to try somthing different, and they sound easy to make and for me, thats a good thing, i thnink i am the worlds worst baker [Big Grin]

-
 -

-

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Devil's Ivy Loosing Leaves| Next thread: deviled eggs? »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: