The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Is it ok to trim back iris now?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: Is it OK to plant in metal?| Next thread: is it possible... »
Back to Thread index
by TheGardenerGuy on July 25, 2004 06:20 AM
Is it ok to trim our bearded iris back now? I just cleaned up the bed and it would make it look much neater in appearance. [gabby] [angel] [wayey]
Greg [gabby]

-  -
In the midst of the storm..I find the greatest Peace. I don't know what tomorrow holds..but i know Who holds tomorrow. [angel]
by Nako on July 25, 2004 06:50 AM
yeppers! on the menue bar, there's a "monthly reminders" section. On the July part, it tells you how far back to trim the iris ^.^ Right now, i'm letting my bearded Iris hang out with its seed pods riping and all that. I wana see if i can get seeds this year [Smile] Never tried it before.

~Phoebe

Nako's Webshots!
 -
 -
by Carly on July 25, 2004 08:15 AM
Oh . . . I was under the impression that you could only propigate 'em with the bulbs. Can you actually start new plants with seeds?

How about tiger lilies - can you do the same thing?

-
When sorting seeds, do not whistle.
by gardenmom32210 on July 25, 2004 03:59 PM
You sure can! Alot of your tubers,bulbs,etc will produce seeds if the flowers are left on. It just takes them alot longer to get to the flowering stage after you plant them.

Hope this helps!

Karen [grin]
by Bestofour on July 26, 2004 03:45 AM
I let my iris die back naturally. But I do dig them up and cut off the foliage when I give them to people and they do just fine.

-
 -
 - http://www.picturetrail.com/bestofour  -
by Nyce on August 01, 2004 07:23 PM
Wow, all the information you learn here. I never knew you could start some flowering bulbs from their seeds either. Oh how I wish I had a bigger place to plant. We live in a townhouse, and already my Shasta Daisies are going into my neighbors spot. Thanks for all the suggestions. [thumb]

-
Peace is seeing a sunrise or a sunset and knowing whom to thank.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Pain is inevitable. Misery is optional.
by Carly on August 02, 2004 08:14 AM
There are so many places you can plant - if it weren't for all the trees here, we'd have more sun.

I've stuck pots of stuff in the crooks of trees and just let 'em grow.

In a townhouse yard I think I'd be inclined to have planters all along the fence - as well as the ground.

My daughter lived in a house around the corner - for a couple of years I gardened their front yard.

Now someone else lives there - they don't like gardening - the lady beside them loves gardening so she gets to garden both front yards.

Yes, of course I'm going round there to scratch her eyes out - grrrrrrrrrrrr!

-
When sorting seeds, do not whistle.
by weezie13 on August 02, 2004 05:48 PM
A FYI

When you let the bulb go to seed,
you then rob from the bulbette for next years
heighth and flowering ability, each year you let the bulb go to seed, the bulb will get smaller and smaller!!

Just so you know...

(I think the water iris's or flag iris's are the exception though??? Anyone know)

My question is does every IRIS go to seed???

Just curious??????????????

Weezie

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Is it OK to plant in metal?| Next thread: is it possible... »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: