The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

browning edges and 'holes' on leaves???

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Brownie-Bottom Cheesecake| Next thread: browns »
Back to Thread index
by julietan on August 26, 2006 05:49 AM
I currently grow an evergreen plant commonly known as the money plant. Its a nonflowering plant that grows like a vine and have oval shaped leaves. It can be grown either in soil or submerged in water. Mine is grown in a glass container of water.

recently, i realised that the leaves are starting to brown at the edges and occasionally there are holes on the leaves where the edges of the holes are browning too. I thought it was bugs at first but could not find any traces or tell tale signs of pest problems. the container is placed near the window with ample but not direct sunlight. the climate here is summer and high humidity throughout the year. Could anyone please kindly enlighten me on the possible causes of this?
by julietan on August 29, 2006 08:56 PM
these are the pics of my plant. I just found out that it's known as the Devil's ivy.
holes2
whole plant
holes1
browning edges
by Stupe on September 06, 2006 12:42 PM
could be over fertilised...and over watering.

Stupe
by Tomacco on September 07, 2006 07:32 PM
Apa kabar [Smile]

julietan, be careful not to get water on the leaves, this can cause brown spots. If you ever decide to plant your Devil's Ivy (Pothos) in soil, let it dry out between waterings. Otherwise, this is a beautiful plant [Smile]

Stupe -- PJ. Petaling Jaya? Spent four years in PG (home of the permanent jam) and often traveled to KL (long drive...) Early congratualtions on your upcoming new arrival [Smile]

Jumpa lagi [Smile]

Tomacco

That coffee was so strong, it swallowed the cream...
http://s98.photobucket.com/albums/l268/Tomacco1/
by joclyn on September 08, 2006 12:57 PM
holes2 pic looks like the leaf was crushed and broken. the other hole pic looks like a burn and so does the browning at the tips.

allowing water droplets to stay on the leaves when it's in a window where it gets direct sunlight will cause burns.

pothos doesn't need direct sun...might want to move it away from the window so that it is not sitting directly in the sunlight.
by julietan on September 17, 2006 09:40 PM
Hi
thanks for all the advice. I have replanted my plant in soil instead of water and the browning thing stopped appearing. I guess its because of this water logging thing that i happened to come across online. read that sometimes the plant will start to turn brown if allowed to submerge in water for too long.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Brownie-Bottom Cheesecake| Next thread: browns »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: