The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Shade loving climbing vines???

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: Shade Landscaping| Next thread: shade perrenniels for dummys »
Back to Thread index
by lilitu on June 19, 2005 11:33 PM
Hello
So I'm being a sweet daughter this Father's day and I am buying my dad a plant/ plants for the yard. He just got a trellis and wants to put it close to the front porch, which will keep it pretty shady. Is there any flowering viney pretty thing (perennial) that likes shade?
Thanks everyone !!
by tkhooper on June 20, 2005 02:50 AM
Honey suckle is my first thought. Especially that red kind that there was a picture of around here somewhere. My mind does a perfect immitation of a sive. They can be invasive though so that's a consideration.

Here are some other vines that might be nice.

Aconitum austroyunnanense
Actinidia kolomikta
Clematis 'Pink Fantasy'
Hydrangea anomala ssp. anomala
Lonicera periclymenum 'Graham Thomas'
Lonicera periclymenum 'Munster'
Lonicera x tellmanniana
Parthenocissus henryana
Schizophragma hydrangeoides 'Moonlight'

I love vines. Maybe I should look into getting a trellis lol.

Hope something here helps.

-
 -
by lilitu on June 20, 2005 03:49 AM
I love honeysuckle, too. But the bushes of it in my dad's yard seem to attract all the aphids in the neighborhood- so he now hates his honeysuckle...it's not the plant's fault!!! He's tried everything to get rid of the aphids, short of burning the bushes to the ground...
I'll have to look into your suggestions and see how those would do in NE.
Thanks!
by Vada on June 20, 2005 11:44 PM
Do you mean to tell me that people actually WANT honyesuckle? We treat it as a weed around here!!! I could be making money from my weeds???? Just kidding. I have plenty around here if anyone wants to come dig it up!!!!

Vada in MS

Mommy to Tommy, Edward, Jarod and baby on the way!

-
by DaisyM on June 22, 2005 01:52 PM
Hee hee, I actually paid to get my honeysuckle weed. It's growing nicely and flowering, but I notice that it grows with branches sticking out all over the place. Can it be trimmed to stay neat looking? Thanks for the list of other shade loving vines.
by tkhooper on June 22, 2005 09:53 PM
after it blooms yes.

-
 -
by TXGardener on June 24, 2005 03:07 PM
I've heard that akebia does well in shade. Haven't tried it, though.
by Angeliastreefrog on June 24, 2005 03:24 PM
Morning glories. I don't know if they're considered perinneals anywhere but at my mom's house though. for some reason hers come back year after year and mine NEVER re-seed!

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Shade Landscaping| Next thread: shade perrenniels for dummys »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: