The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

can I, can I? hostas

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
Pages: 1 2
by MaryReboakly on June 18, 2005 04:18 AM
Well, we just got back from our grocery trip to wally world, and most perennials were 50% off. I couldn't help myself. You know that voice that calls to you as you walk by "Hey...hey you...psst...take me home....please!"

I bought 4 hostas for about $10. They made me. Anyway, can I put them in the ground now? At least one is flowering. The others may be finished flowering, but I'm not sure - no stalk.

Mary [Smile]

-
 -
by tkhooper on June 18, 2005 04:21 AM
lol, bad bad girl Mary lol. I hear they are pretty hardy but I don't know so I won't hazzard a guess.

-
 -
by pcgrav on June 18, 2005 04:24 AM
I transplanted some my neighbor gave me about a month ago and since i'm in zone 7 and you're in 6 I would think now would be okay, personally I would give it a try. But that's just me...

-
 - Each day is a new beginning...What you begin is your choice.
 - The pleasure you receive from life is equal only to the attitude you put into it.
by MaryReboakly on June 18, 2005 04:29 AM
LOL I'm glad you both answered so fast - you know I'm sitting here itching to get out and get them planted! I'll probably lose the flower, but like you said T, they're pretty hardy. I'll just make sure to give em a good drink afterwards. Thanks!

-
 -
by tkhooper on June 18, 2005 04:58 AM
Ok it's past the heat of the day you should be fine. Yeah a little transplant shock will probably cost you the flower. Sorry about that part.

-
 -
by pcgrav on June 18, 2005 05:02 AM
Mary,
My neighbor said that if you clip the flower and don't let it bloom the foliage will grow thicker. She has them all the way around her house. Some of them are as big as 4 or 5 feet across!!!!

-
 - Each day is a new beginning...What you begin is your choice.
 - The pleasure you receive from life is equal only to the attitude you put into it.
by Bestofour on June 18, 2005 07:10 AM
This is hosta that I transplanted from my daughters a few years ago. It didn't do anything the first year but since then it's been fine. It is in the shade and to start with I watered it a little.

-

-

-
 -
 - http://www.picturetrail.com/bestofour  -
by MaryReboakly on June 18, 2005 07:45 AM
OMG I LOVE those hostas! I've always loved hostas - may be because of their super resilliance - it's one plant I've never 'been able' to kill.

Tricia, thanks so much for that tip - I'm definitely going to clip the flowers - I love when they get full... I get more excited over the beautiful foliage than the flowers anyway. Definitely worth the tradeoff for me.

BTW, I never did get around to planting them today LOL Yaknow, that quick stroll that turns into Oh I gotta do this, I gotta do that? Kept me busy until I was ready to collapse, so they'll go in the ground in the morning! [Smile]

-
 -
by Dixie Angel on June 18, 2005 08:12 AM
I will be glad when our trees grow up to provide some shade. I want some hostas, too!

Dianna

-
 -
by MaryReboakly on June 18, 2005 08:15 AM
Dianna, that's my challenge too. We've got a few huge trees, and the lilac 'bush' (tree), but I havent gotten to preparing the soil around them at all yet...part of why I didn't get those hostas in today...I gotta figure out where to put them! My SIL has them out in the full blaring sun, and they do fine [thinker] I don't think I'll try it though, if I don't have to!

Oh, hey, let me know if you have any need/desire for some redbud seeds...we've got 2 trees, and they make a zillion seeds, so I'll have plenty come fall!

-
 -
by Dixie Angel on June 18, 2005 08:30 AM
Thanks, Mary, but I think I will pass on the redbuds. We have five at the front of the property and I don't think they like it here! [Big Grin] We have yet to see a flower on the things. They are probably 2 years old and they battle with the clay soil. I am about ready to dig them up to give to my aunt to see how they do with her coastal conditions! I don't think they like the Midlands. [thinker] Then again, I might not be treating them right! I figure, though, full sun and fertilizer ought to make 'em do something....

Dianna

-
 -
by MaryReboakly on June 18, 2005 08:37 AM
That's one thing we DID luck out on - we've got fairly decent soil, and lotsa woyms [Smile] Sorry they don't do good for you. I'd probably not choose to have them if they weren't here already...they were nice for about 2 weeks in the early spring, but that was about it as far as color goes.

Yeah, if they dont flower next spring, I'd dig em up too. There are far nicer trees you could have, especially if you're not getting any color in spring!

-
 -
by LMT on June 19, 2005 03:18 AM
I like Redbud Trees. (Have access to an unlimited supply of seeds, sorry.) They give you excellent color early in the spring when color is at a premium. They tolerate shade well so they make a nice under planting to a larger tree. They only grow to 30' or so they can be planted almost anywhere. I plan on planting a couple along the northern edge where it's shady and they won't interfere with my hot (full sun) garden.

Currently listening to: Vince Guaraldi Trio -- A Charlie Brown Christmas. Adult and contemporary but evocative of youth and innocence, a must own CD.
by plants 'n pots on June 19, 2005 04:25 AM
I have the same hostas as Sheri's. The previous owners of our house had planted them on the S/SW side where they got blazing afternoon direct sun. When we moved in 11 years ago, I moved them to the front of the house where they get morning to early afternoon sun - full sun! They are growing like gangbusters! I've divided them sooooooo many times and given them to my father who has lined the 3 sides of his backyard with them - gorgeous!

Biggest problem is... they are DEER CANDY!!! And we do have many deer who feast on our plants since they took away their woods behind us to build houses on wetlands!!! [Mad] [Mad] [Mad] Of course when we bought the house, we were told that they would never build there because it was wetlands... SURE!!! [Mad]

Anyway, your new hostas should do just fine if planted now. Just be sure to give them plenty of water - especially if you get a dry spell.

Oh, yeah... the other thing that can destroy them is slugs, so be on the look-out for them too. [thumb]

-
 -
 - Lynne's knitting journal  -  -  -
"I'm spayed, declawed, and housebound - how's YOUR day going???"
by MaryReboakly on June 19, 2005 04:49 AM
Ewwwwwwey SLUGS I'm afraid I have to admit I'm too ickified by them to pick them or poke them...UGH Go ahead and laugh LOL [Big Grin] I guess I need a handy dandy gardening salt shaker!

Sorry I couldn't pawn ...err... pass any redbuds off to ya LMT LOL You have something there though...once my 'outer' yard gets done being dug up (still no movement there btw) may be I'll line the fence with them...hmmm...sure would make for a nice shade area - something we reeeeally lack here.

Sorry about your deer problem Lynne - thankfully we're far enough away from the woods that they don't venture to our property, but I can take a 2 minute walk to 'oooh' and 'aaah' at them (eating someone elses flowers) [tongue] LOL I like that graemlin!

I planted them today...smashing if I do say so myself! [clappy] I also put some gladiolus down in a heart shape -- copied that idea from someone here, but I cant for the life of me remember who!

-
 -
by plants 'n pots on June 19, 2005 10:37 AM
I think it was G-mom who had the rain lilies in a heart shape - very pretty!

-
 -
 - Lynne's knitting journal  -  -  -
"I'm spayed, declawed, and housebound - how's YOUR day going???"
by Carly on June 19, 2005 09:04 PM
A lot of people put a saucer of beer under their hostas so the bugs will go into it and die a happy death. I looked after some once and put wood under my leaves so the bugs would go under it for the shade - then threw the wood out when it collected enough bugs.

I don't really like hostas much - I think that's because there's just so much of it in the gardens around here - I did up a garden on Parkside Avenue a few years ago and had to hawk out a lot of lilly stuff - it was all lillies. The hostas were full of holes, and it turned me off 'em.

It's like everything else though - you have to keep after them.

I might think about buying some for a spot beside the driveway - it isn't our property, it belongs to the house next door and until I cleaned it up, they used it for a trash place. Guess they figured apartment building tenants don't care about clean driveways, but I figured different.

The owner and I get on ok - she and I talked about doing something together in that little patch, but it's growing in with wild stuff and looks pretty good now. So maybe we'll just leave it.

Like Jeff keeps saying 'you have enough plants going out there now'.

Yes, there are sales everywhere - I'll have to get on the bike and smuggle some newbies home.

Friday night I poked some nasturtium seeds into a couple of places - it'll be a 'how did they get there?' kinda' thing - if anybody asks, of course - hee! hee!

I just love contraband.

-
When sorting seeds, do not whistle.
by Francine on June 24, 2005 01:49 AM
your hostas are simply magnificient

how old are they to be so big.

http://photobucket.com/albums/d23/fv1962/

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: