The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

japanese maple

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: japanese maple| Next thread: Japanese Maple & Weeping Cherry »
Back to Thread index
by manx on July 22, 2004 01:26 PM
have 2 ailing jap maplesinthe back garden.they were planted about 1.5 months ago and about 2 feet high .what is the best feed for them -is micracid any good?

m.g.bloom
by Newt on July 30, 2004 10:01 PM
Hi Manx,

You don't say what the problem with your maples is. Just how are they ailing? Leaves turning brown, leaves dropping off, bugs eating them, etc. Were they planted 15 months ago or 1 1/2 months ago? Were they rootbound when they were planted?

I don't know where Brighton is. What state or hardiness zone are you in?

They prefer part shade to shade and can get burned in the sun. I wouldn't use miracid. Stressed plants are best not fertilized, especially with a synthetic fertilizer. If you do fertilize, use either compost tea or compost as a mulch.

If you get back to us with more info we can try and help you.
Newt

When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant.
by Nako on July 31, 2004 06:33 AM
oh Newt ^.^ I think they didn't have a problem with the maple.

Sorry though, i donno what kinda fertalizer to use. All my clippings keep dying lol.

Nako's Webshots!
 -
 -
by Newt on July 31, 2004 09:41 AM
Hi Nako,
quote:
oh Newt ^.^ I think they didn't have a problem with the maple.
Not sure what you mean here unless I missed another post somewhere.

Take a look here to see if it will help you with your japanese maple clippings. I also have an article on how to grow them from seed if you're interested.
http://www.freeplants.com/free-article-secret-of-rooting-cuttings.htm

Newt

When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant.
by manx on August 04, 2004 03:45 PM
the leaves have dried up and gone brown.ive taken alot off the green maple but left them on the red.i was told this was due to paticularly high winds we had here which was unfortunately only acouple of weeks after planting.i replanted the worst affected ~{green} tree freom the front to back garden to amore sheltered spot.brighton,england is the place a coastal town 50 miles south of london.weathercan be mixed -at the moment its hot and dry.the trees are now about 2 months old since purchase and planting.when bought they were about 2 feet tall.

m.g.bloom

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: japanese maple| Next thread: Japanese Maple & Weeping Cherry »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: