The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Allium question

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
by Nan D on July 21, 2004 07:25 PM
Hi all, I'm fairly new here and have a question.

I have collected Allium seeds this year and want to know if I plant them now or late fall to winter over in the cold?

Thanks........

Nan
http://community.webshots.com/user/nan1065
by weezie13 on July 21, 2004 08:01 PM
Nan D,
Happy to have you here!!!

I am not a seed saver (well, I'd like to,
but just haven't gotten around to it.)

But I let alooooooooot of my seeds "re~seed" in my garden, and when the flower pod sets' seed, and it dries and turns brown, it's ready!!

When the plants' normal seeding time, like alliums, would be as the seed dries and drops to the ground.

I have two kinds of aliums, the big purple giant one's and walking or nodding onion...they all dry right about now, in zone 5 and fall to the ground now or soon.. alot of mine are still inside the pod, and heading south..(to the ground) but haven't made it there yet.

So, I would say, if you put them on the ground now, they would work..
I know the two that I have, just need to be dropped on top of soil??? That's all mother nature does...

But if you want to experiment *I do this alooooot*
Take your seeds and do a could things with them..
sprinkle some on top of the dirt, right where you want them to grow, take some pots filled with dirt and sprinkle them on top now and leave them out over the winter.... and save some in a mailing envelope and keep them in a cool dark place somewhere's and plant them where you'd like them come spring.
I am not completely sure, but I think they need a cool period to germinate, but again, not completely sure.

So, if you do that, in several different ways, you'll see that one works better than the other,
one one didn't work or all work equivalent and one had less work in volved....
It's so much fun to experiment.....and you gain knowledge and confidents to try other things later on in your gardening ventures!!!

Hope this helps!!

Weezie

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: