The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Is it supposed to die?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
by Nako on July 21, 2004 06:52 AM
Hi!
My impatian started losing its leaves, and getting mushy around the stem area. I didn't over water it, or under water it, and the fungus gnat problem got under control... It gets pleanty of light from the windows, and all that stuff. It says annual on the tag though... I was hoping i could save it and have it possibly bloom next year again ^.^

So ya, do annuals die after they bloom? What about perannials? Is my Bearded Iris, and my Red Dwarf Lily a type of perannial?

Nako's Webshots!
 -
 -
by gardenmom32210 on July 22, 2004 12:42 AM
Flowering annuals should last for 1 growing season,repeatedly producing blooms If your impatien is mushy,I'm afraid it might be history.
Periennials on the other hand,come back every year. Your iris and lily will be back year after year,so don't worry about them. In fact you'll get more and more of them [flower] !

Karen [grin]
by sachis2112 on July 22, 2004 01:10 AM
Someone will have to correct me if I'm wrong... but I believe impatiens are bi-annuals... they'll live for two years. However, they are grown as annuals because they don't look as great in the second year.

However, I agree. I'm afraid your baby is history.

-
by Nako on July 22, 2004 07:42 AM
Oh, okie dokie then. Don't worry about me and my impatian ^.^ I've never had any good luck with them lol. I've had 2 regular Impatians that i put outside cuz i was afraid they were dying cuz they were inside, and i had one New Guini Impatian reciently that i got for free that's dying right now. Well its outside somewhere in the shrub pile, so its probably dead by now >.o So ya, i got an empty pot with a hole in it that i may put my Catnip in.

Thank you very much for the info [Smile] I thought i just sucked with those kinda flowers!

Phoebe

Nako's Webshots!
 -
 -
by Carly on July 22, 2004 08:01 AM
I once managed to keep an impatien over the winter - but it didn't grow. It eventually died off. I was surprised it survived the windowsill.

I put it back out on the table garden in spring and it just faded away.

-
When sorting seeds, do not whistle.
by sachis2112 on July 22, 2004 09:22 AM
I had these beautiful impatien plants that I grew from seed and they were getting large enough to start blooming. Supposed to be bright red...

Overnight, something demolished them.... Snails or something. I was heartbroken. Guess I'll go for established plants next year!

-
by luvgardening on July 22, 2004 06:51 PM
I have Impatients currently blooming that I brought inside last fall. They got quite leggy in my Florida room. I cut them back and leaves started appearing at the bottom. If your Impatients are mushy they have been overwatered or the roots were sitting in a pool of water.

-
by Nako on July 22, 2004 07:31 PM
Well i let em sit in a pool of water until i saw roots poking out the bottom of the pot. Then i put it on a plate, and it started blooming. I watered it when it looked like it was wilting slightly. That was the New Guini impatian anyway. I*t was pretty while it lasted ^.^ I'd like to have an impatian that doesn't die after it blooms! Cuz even without the flower, the dark shiny leaves are very attractive!

Nako's Webshots!
 -
 -

Active Garden Forum