The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Corned Beef Question

Willy's Place » Members Favorite Recipes
« Prev thread: corn worms| Next thread: Cornflower question »
Back to Thread index
by patches1414 on March 06, 2006 05:51 AM
For those of you who boil their corn beef, I was wondering if you put the red gelatin-like liquid in the water with the meat, or do you throw it away? [dunno]

patches [kitty]

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by peppereater on March 06, 2006 06:12 AM
Patches...I think I've seen what you're talking, but not sure. If it's mainly seasoning, then I might. If it's mostly food color, I wouldn't. This question really caught my eye, because I JUST FINISHED TASTING my corned beef that's in the oven!
I was going to cook it yesterday, but I ran short on time. Mine had a spice packet, but it was all dry spices, and I could recognize pepper and mustard seed, but nothing else.
I'm sure it's great with or without the seasoning, but I always use it. Do you do yours with cabbage? I do, plus carrots and potatoes. [thumb]

-
Dave
Even my growlights are getting restless!
by patches1414 on March 06, 2006 06:41 AM
Hi Dave,

Mine had a packet of dry spices and I put those in, but this is just like liquid red gelatin that surrounds the meat. I ended up not putting the red stuff in because I don't remember it being in there years ago. I've never fixed mine in the oven because I like to cook the carrots, cabbage, and potatoes in the same water I cook the meat in. I've got about another 90 minutes before mine is done and my mouth is watering already. I serve it with rye bread and horseradish. [Love]

Thanks for the feedback! [clappy]

patches [kitty]

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by peppereater on March 06, 2006 09:59 AM
Patches...I also like all that stuff together...I cut the potatoes and carrots in large pieces, and throw it all in together. I slow cook for three and a half to four hours at 300, then turn off the heat and leave in the oven for 1 hour. The veggies and meat are perfect!
I need to try it with horseradish and rye!

-
Dave
Even my growlights are getting restless!
by Amigatec on March 06, 2006 10:19 AM
That's the way to cook it, low and slow!!!

I do my brisket like that, smoke it for 3 or 4 hours and finish it in the oven, when I am done it just falls apart.

-
 -
One OS to rule them, one OS to find them:
One OS to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the Land of Redmond where the shadows lie.
by afgreyparrot on March 06, 2006 10:20 AM
This topic is making me want corned beef so bad. [Eek!]
I make mine in the crock pot.

-
 -
 -
Buckle up! It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car!
by Triss on March 06, 2006 10:28 AM
I do mine in the crock pot also but only make it for Dan cuz I do not care for it at all.

-
 -
We are all under the same stars... therefore we are never far apart.
by Amigatec on March 06, 2006 10:37 AM
I want to try to make my own, it isn't that hard, just use kosher salt and pickling spice, and brine it for a few days.

-
 -
One OS to rule them, one OS to find them:
One OS to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the Land of Redmond where the shadows lie.
by tkhooper on March 11, 2006 11:55 PM
It's a brine and is suppose to be tossed. But for me personally I add it right in with everything else. I get the corned beef without the packet it's cheaper lol. But here is the recipe for pickling spice.

2 cinnamon sticks
10 bay leaves
2 small dried red hot chiles
5 star anise
4 Tbsp Mustard Seeds
2 Tbsp Ground ginger
2 Tbsp Allspice berries
2 tsp Cloves
2 Tbsp Black Peppercorns
2 Tbsp Coriander seeds
2 tsp Cardamom seeds
2 Tbsp dill seeds

Break the cinnamon stick, bay leaves, chiles, and star anise into pieces.

Roughly chop all the other ingredients, leaving most of the seeds whole.

Combine and store in a tightly sealed jar for several months.

For the corned beef use about 1 Tablespoon of this pickling spice for the best flavor. I also don't believe that it's corned beef unless it's cooked with cabbage but that's just because I grew up that way lol.

-
 -
by detectorbill on March 12, 2006 03:26 PM
sounds like ya'll are getting reqdy for st pattys day!

I feel more like I do now than I did before I ever felt this way.
by patches1414 on March 12, 2006 03:46 PM
Sure are!!! [thumb] You gotta love that corned beef! [Love] It's the greatest!!!

patches [kitty]

-
 -
by Herbyann on March 13, 2006 04:46 AM
[Smile] I'm getting hungry for Corned beef and trimmings too. When Ye buy it all in the package yue put all the juices in the packages in it. I put a little bit of water in the package to get it all. Then sprinkle the spices on. I have made it a lot of ways but the Crockpot is definatly the best. I add the veggies towards the end and the cabbage closer toward the end as it cooks a lot quicker. Yum I'm so hungry fer it!! [Wink] I like Creamed horseradish and Horseradish mustard with it.

[Smile] Herby Hugs,
Anne [muggs]
by tkhooper on March 13, 2006 08:37 AM
Definitely the creamy horseradish. I don't think it would really be corned beef without it. So anyone for a ruben sandwich? lol.

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: corn worms| Next thread: Cornflower question »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: