The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

What is this bug?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by Karrie on August 02, 2006 11:20 AM
Its not on my plants or anything but its weird and I have never seen one before. I think it must be a wasp or something of that sort. It scampers across my concrete drive way so fast is not funny. I have never seen one before. It has no wings at all. Its red/deep orange and black. Anyone have any idea. I am worried about the kids stepping on one. Will it sting or bite them in some way? I looked on enature.com and couldn't find a match. Any help???? [dunno]
 -

Sorry for the gross pic, I had to swat him to get him to sit still long enough to snap a pic.

-
 -

It doesn't matter where you go in life... It's who you have beside you when you get there.

Karrie's Photos
by Dixie Angel on August 02, 2006 02:48 PM
Is it a cow ant ? Those little devils are hard to kill, too!

Dianna

-
 -
by Karrie on August 03, 2006 02:33 AM
Dianna, I believe you got it pegged! Thank you! They are odd and quick lil buggers. Glad I know what they are now!

-
 -

It doesn't matter where you go in life... It's who you have beside you when you get there.

Karrie's Photos
by Karrie on August 03, 2006 02:34 AM
Dianna - He wasn't at all hard to kill. 1 nice swift swat with the dust pan and he sat nice and still for his picture. lol [Big Grin]

-
 -

Karrie's Photos
by Dixie Angel on August 03, 2006 02:42 AM
Karrie, when I see them in the yard, I have to stomp on them several times and them squish them with my shoe to make sure they stay dead! [Big Grin]

We had one in the front yard not too long ago, and Jim had never seen one before. He couldn't believe how many times it took stomping on it and squishing to kill it...

Dianna

-
 -
by Karrie on August 03, 2006 08:09 AM
I will be stomping on them from now on. I am wondering if they are what I hear buzzzing underground in the early fall. I tell you what 480 miles can sure make a huge difference in temperature, plant life, and critters. I do love my new growing zone, but I hate the temperature! I will adjust though. Kinda funny the weather is better for my plants but its so hot for me that I don't want to take care of them as much now as I used to. I saved a fortune on miracle grow and fertilizer this year. I really need to get out there and do some of that. I will when its comfortable though.

-
 -

Karrie's Photos

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: