The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

When Do Crape Myrtles Bloom???

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
by pcgrav on June 15, 2005 09:56 PM
When Do Crape Myrtles Bloom???

-
 - Each day is a new beginning...What you begin is your choice.
 - The pleasure you receive from life is equal only to the attitude you put into it.
by plants 'n pots on June 15, 2005 10:12 PM
Interesting question, Tricia. I bought 2 at the end of last summer. Didn't get one into the ground, and I think it bit the dust. The other one is sending up about 8 stems from the bottom of the trunk - all the old branches were dry and brittle so I cut them off yesterday.

I only knew of one other Crape Myrtle in our area (before yesterday) and it usually blooms towards the end of summer.
BUT... yesterday I drove through a different part of town and saw a house with the entire property lined with these trees and every single one was in full bloom!!!

So, now I'm more confused than ever! [nutz] [dunno] [Big Grin]

-
 -
 - Lynne's knitting journal  -  -  -
"I'm spayed, declawed, and housebound - how's YOUR day going???"
by pcgrav on June 15, 2005 10:53 PM
I am so TOTALLY confused too now [dunno] [dunno] I thought I remembered mine blooming earlier than this time last year but I pruned them back pretty hard in January and they came back out beautifully but I was noticing that while two of them have the blooms ready to start opening the other two do not... So I'm wondering what now????

-
 - The pleasure you receive from life is equal only to the attitude you put into it.
by Dixie Angel on June 15, 2005 11:09 PM
I think that different colors bloom at different times. I saw some white and lavendar blooming this week-end, but none of the other colors yet.

Dianna

-
 -
by gardengal on June 15, 2005 11:14 PM
I think it depends on what kind you have and when and if you pruned it. My little baby crape myrtle is not blooming, but I think its too young yet. My friends have a huge old one in their front yard and it blooms all summer. Here's more info...

crape myrtle info

It states on that web page that you can encourage more blooms by dead heading as well. I guess it depends on the size of your tree how well you can dead head! [grin]

-
 -
Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.
by pcgrav on June 15, 2005 11:40 PM
Thanks for all the info...
by Dixie Angel
quote:
I think that different colors bloom at different times. I saw some white and lavendar blooming this week-end, but none of the other colors yet.

Dianna

Would you believe that's EXACTLY the two colors I have! The white ones are only a few years old and they are about to bloom. The lavenders are probably 30+ years old and they are the ones that aren't blooming yet.

-

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: