The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Autumn Sedum

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Autumn Fruit Salad| Next thread: avacado »
Back to Thread index
by ND farm girl on September 01, 2006 05:43 AM
Can I propagate this to make more? Soft cutting? Whatever that means.

PattyM
by TulsaRose on September 01, 2006 07:57 AM
Patty, Sedum is real easy to root in water in only a matter of days. I use clear vases, fruit jars, whatever. I have one small cutting (actually a stem I accidentally broke off) in water on the kitchen window sill right now that has even put up a flowerhead. They are pretty tough and Autumn Joy is my favorite.

You'll want to divide the Sedum every couple of years as they tend to get ratty looking in the center. I usually dig up the whole thing, salvage the good outer stems and toss the old, worn out parts from the middle of the clump.

Rosie z7a
 -
 -
by mrw on September 01, 2006 11:17 AM
We found out how easy it is to grow sedum by mistake. One of the stalks broke off of one of our plants and we stuck it into the garden. It grew another plant in a few weeks. We have made many more plants this way and they flourish. very easy!
by ND farm girl on September 01, 2006 11:36 AM
Thought so - I have a small one growing next to the big one that is just starting to turn color and I don't remember planting one there! But then again - I don't know where a lot of my flowers come from! [dunno] [perplexed]

PattyM
by loz on September 01, 2006 11:36 AM
quote:
Originally posted by mrw:
We found out how easy it is to grow sedum by mistake. One of the stalks broke off of one of our plants and we stuck it into the garden. It grew another plant in a few weeks. We have made many more plants this way and they flourish. very easy!
I've been doing that for a few years now....just cut a piece off, stick it in the ground and keep watered and voila! New plants! [muggs]
by patches1414 on September 01, 2006 10:02 PM
Patty, if you start propagating Sedum you'll have more plants than you now what to do with and it will attract bees and butterflies! [Wink] It's definitely one of the easiest plants to propagate! [thumb]

Rosie, the 'Autumn Joy' one of my favorite too! [Love] I love the way the flowers start out kind of light pink and then change to almost a salmon color by fall! [Smile]

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by TulsaRose on September 01, 2006 11:48 PM
Patti, they are great for long lasting, changing color blooms! I hope to get a couple of the Sedum erythrostictum, 'Mediovariegatum' and Sedum selskianum, 'Variegata.' They are both variegated yellow\green and quite pretty. Another one I'm very interested in is Sedum erythrostictum, 'Frosty Morn.' It is GORGEOUS!!!

The sweet thing about Sedums for lazy gardeners like me is the way they thrive on neglect in crummy conditions. [Big Grin]

Rosie z7a
 -
 -
by patches1414 on September 02, 2006 05:13 PM
Rosie, I've never heard of Sedem 'Frosty Morn'! [dunno] Geesh, you make it sound like that is one I should be checking out! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

quote:
The sweet thing about Sedums for lazy gardeners like me is the way they thrive on neglect in crummy conditions
Well, Rosie, I really don't consider myself a lazy gardener, but I sure do have lousy soil in a few places, [Eek!] so it's been really been a God-send for those areas! [Wink]

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by TulsaRose on September 02, 2006 11:13 PM
Patti, go to Moonshine Designs for a good picture of the Frosty Morn. It's really purdy! [Big Grin]

Rosie z7a
 -
 -
by ND farm girl on September 03, 2006 04:20 AM
Oh! Frosty Morn is pretty - gotta have it. Printed a picture and put it in my wish file.

PattyM
by patches1414 on September 04, 2006 12:16 AM
Thanks Rosie! [kissies] Boy, that sure is pretty and I love [Love] the white edging on the leaves. It's really different and showy! [Wink]

-
 -
by plants 'n pots on September 04, 2006 03:20 AM
Thanks Rosie! [kissies] [thumb]

I've had a small plant of this from a single cutting from a friend, but didn't know what it was called!

-
 -
 - Lynne's knitting journal  -  -  -
"I'm spayed, declawed, and housebound - how's YOUR day going???"
by TulsaRose on September 04, 2006 04:55 AM
Lynne, is it growing well for you? I know several gardeners here that swear by it so if it can make it in our super hot climate, hopefully it will do really well for you. [Wink] I keep looking for it at the big box stores and nurseries locally but I may end up ordering online next spring. It's one of those "can't live without it" for me at this point. lol!

Rosie z7a
 -
 -
by plants 'n pots on September 04, 2006 05:48 AM
Ya know, Rosie... it started out as a 4 inch single cutting about 3 summers ago. It does get very long and leggy, but not full. This year was the best for it though, and I'm hoping that next year will be even better.

The biggest problem, once again, is keeping the deer off it!
They like to eat them just as soon as the buds start to open! [Mad] [Eek!] [Razz]

-
 -
by patches1414 on September 04, 2006 07:04 AM
quote:
It does get very long and leggy, but not full.
Lynne, are you talking about 'Frosty Morn'? [dunno] All of my Sedum are round and bushy and I love that! [Love] I'm really not sure if I would like it long and leggy for the areas where I would put it. [Frown]

-
 -
by TulsaRose on September 04, 2006 07:52 AM
Lynne, next spring, you might try pinching back the plant(s) when they get about 6" tall then again at 12" to force more compact plants. And they will make a clump before you know it...just don't overwater and they don't particularly need fertilizer. Pretty much a "leave me alone" type plant...my favorite kind! [Wink]

Rosie z7a
 -
 -
by patches1414 on September 04, 2006 08:05 AM
Rosie, I've never really had to pinch back my Sedum but I guess it depends on the variety. [dunno] Mine always seem to stay in sort of a rounded clump form, until they start blooming. [Wink]

-
 -
by plants 'n pots on September 06, 2006 01:16 AM
Ya know... I'm a bit embarassed... [Embarrassed]
Looks like I wrote here before checking the plant out lately - we've had so much rain lately, I've sort of ignored the garden the variegated sedum is in, and haven't been outside all that much either of late.

On Sunday, after I cleaned out that particular garden after the rain from Ernesto, I found this plant to be nice and full this year! It's in bloom now, and very nice indeed!!!

-

Closer...
 -

-
 -
by ND farm girl on September 06, 2006 01:29 AM
Uuu, Lynne - I like that! Is that the one Rosie was talking about? Frosty or something? My Autumn is just starting to turn pink, it's very big, I love it!

PattyM
by plants 'n pots on September 06, 2006 02:07 AM
Patty - I got this plant as a tiny 4 inch single cutting from a friend, so I don't know the name of it, but it surely looks like what Rosie is talking about here - Frosty!

I'm going to post a few more pictures of my other sedums in bloom, after I take a short nap - pounding head here!!!

Aren't the sedums fun?!?

-
 -
by patches1414 on September 06, 2006 02:39 AM
Lynne, I'm sure that your picture is the 'Frosty Morn' Sedum since it has the white edging around the leaves. [Wink] That was the one thing I liked about it since it made it different than the others.

-
 -
by plantqueen on September 07, 2006 03:34 AM
That is a beautiful sedum! I want one of those!!!

-
 -

-

All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Autumn Fruit Salad| Next thread: avacado »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: