The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Seedlings

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: seedling trouble!!!| Next thread: seedlings »
Back to Thread index
by LandOfOz on August 18, 2006 02:42 PM
I planted some four o'clock seeds and some hollyhock seeds. I've got little seedlings now and I don't know what to do with them. Both varieties have only recently popped out of the soil--and I've been keeping them both in a "plant window" without any direct sunlight under some clear glasses to keep them moist. This afternoon I put them out on my enclosed porch and took off the glasses I had on them for a "greenhouse" type effect. Well, now the plants are all droopy and laying over. I've sprayed them with a little extra water and re-covered them. The four o'clocks have perked back up, however the hollyhocks haven't. So, my question is, what is the proper thing to do from this point? This is the first time I've tried growing anything from seeds in the house.

Thanks!
Sarah

-
Sarah - Zone 5b/6
 -
by LandOfOz on August 18, 2006 02:58 PM
Just thought I might add that all the plants are planted in vermi-compost (aka worm poop). The hollyhocks are in an egg carton and the four o'clocks are in a paper pot. I haven't done any fertilizing or added any amendments whatsoever to the worm poop.

-
Sarah - Zone 5b/6
 -
by comfrey on August 18, 2006 03:57 PM
They suffered shock..not only from removing the glasses, but also by moving them...did they get any sun while on the enclosed porch? They need to be harden off before you can do much with them as far as placing them outdoors...if they are little seedlings...you will need to put them under lights for a while and harden them up a bit...that will make the stems and leaves sturdier, then if you are planning on planting them outside in awhile, then you need to first place them in shade for a few hours then back indoors or at night and keep doing this until you work them up to full sun all day (this takes about a week). They may wilt a little and when you see that then you know to bring them back indoors or move them back to the shade. Since you are using paper/fiber type pots, be careful to not over water!!!!!!! Also the ones in the egg cartons may need to be transplanted to larger containers....Styrofoam cups work well, don't forget to poke a hole for drainage in the new containers if you transplant. I'm not sure if I explained this where you can understand, so if you have questions be sure to post them, that is how we all learn.

-
 -
by LandOfOz on August 19, 2006 01:56 AM
I don't have any flourescent or UV lights. Can I just put them near a window that gets some sun light? Thanks for the tip about the drainage hole, I wouldn't have thought of that.

-
Sarah - Zone 5b/6
 -
by comfrey on August 19, 2006 03:04 AM
You can use the light from the window...but right now direct sun "may" be to much for your tender seedlings. Also they may become leggy if they don't recieve enough light, Do you have a picture of what they look like now?

-
 -
by LandOfOz on August 19, 2006 04:06 AM
Here is a link to my album with the pics. I left them big so you could see anything and everything. They've only poked out in the last several days. Pictures Unfortunately my hollyhocks have passed on to a better place. [Eek!] Thanks for the help!

Sarah

-
Sarah - Zone 5b/6
 -
by tkhooper on August 19, 2006 05:01 AM
Hi LandOfOz,

I planted my hollyhocks outside last summer and they did fine all by themselves. Some things you don't need to start indoors.

just remember to keep the hollyhocks moist. They love their water.

-
 -
by LandOfOz on August 19, 2006 05:42 AM
Tammy, I was just wanting some practice at growing things indoors--you know, get the hang of it before I sow 20 tomatoes, a gazillion peppers, and then kill every last one of them. I've actually got 3 or 4 hollyhocks growing outside. I didn't know that they love water, so I'll make sure to keep all the hollyhocks very well watered (especially with this heat!!).

-
Sarah - Zone 5b/6
 -
by tkhooper on August 19, 2006 06:13 AM
Oh I see,

Herbs are great for starting and growing inside. And that makes them easy to harvest too. I keep chives and basil inside and I'm thinking about trying to keep one of the sage bushes inside to but they do get big. I guess it will depend on how well they will put up with sever pruning. Mint will also do well inside. Just about anything that doesn't have to go through the seasons is ok. Rosemary in a no go for me but that may just be me. I don't have a great deal of luck with rosemary.

-
 -
by LandOfOz on August 19, 2006 06:40 AM
I've would love to grow basil inside. I'm gonna have to see if I can find me some seeds! I just love bruschetta but can never find really fresh basil leaves for it.

-
Sarah - Zone 5b/6
 -
by tkhooper on August 19, 2006 07:15 AM
The only thing you need to know about basil is that if you let it flower it will die after that because it is an annual and after it sets seeds it is at the end of it's life cycle. So you have to really watch it because it really likes to flower. I pinch off buds every two days on my cinnamon basil.

Enjoy your indoor basil. Oh and by the way. They don't care for being transplanted so I would just stick it in the pot you want to grow it in. I keep mine about 2 feet tall and bushy.

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: seedling trouble!!!| Next thread: seedlings »
Back to Thread index