The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

seeds or fluff?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: seeds for suet| Next thread: Seeds Question »
Back to Thread index
by kennyso on July 31, 2006 10:06 AM
Hi, I went to a friend of min's house and saw that her flowers were dried up, so I though maybe I can get some seeds so I went and plucked out the petals (no clue what they were, but they look like a marigold or something). Instea do seeds, I got a handful of spikes? Are these seeds, or are they just fluff? They were black on the bottom and white on top. Second question...how can you tell if somethin is a seed? Like with flowers like zinnias, all the seeds look like dried petals/fluff. I'm really confused!

-
 -

Blessed are the meek, for they shall possess the earth
My Website My Blog
by tkhooper on August 01, 2006 01:10 AM
About Zinnia,...you have to wait until the flower is cone shaped and the petals begin to die. Then on the end of the petals are the seeds. This is called a seed head. It's when the plant doesn't produce a separate seed pod like you've seen with other flowers.

If you harvesst the seeds to early they won't sprout. If you want to make sure the ones you picked are viable take one or two from each flower you picked and plant them. It 5 to 10 days they should sprout if they are viable.

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: seeds for suet| Next thread: Seeds Question »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: