The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Pesky squirrles

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Pesky Grasshoppers| Next thread: pests »
Back to Thread index
by gardenfairy on July 20, 2006 04:40 PM
I planted some glads earlier this year and squirrles dug them up and ate them!!!! [Mad] I want to plant some tulips this fall, any ideas on how to keep the squirrles out?

Monica

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."
 -

God gave us memories so we can have roses in the winter.
by netwiz on July 21, 2006 06:51 AM
Jocyln recommended some sort of pepper powder that you can purchase at the nursery. I wish I could remember what it was called! She said you dust your bulbs with it before planting and it keeps the thieves away. Does anyone else know what I'm talking about?

Joanne
by joclyn on July 21, 2006 08:38 AM
the cayenne pepper is to keep dogs away (works okay, has to be reapplied often - especially after rain)

for squirrels you need to put something down that they don't like to dig in/through and/or something that they can't get through.

i've seen crushed shells recommended. don't know if they work.

i used a piece of very stiff grating/chicken wire. i put the bulbs in and covered them and then put the wire down on top of the soil - trying to place the holes over where the shoots would come up. didn't lose one tulip (they particularly like tulips).

i didn't know that they also like crocus so i didn't do anything to that bed...i planted 40 bulbs and they got every last one [Frown]

i had some glads in that same bed as the tulips...i haven't seen them in a couple of years...i guess the squirrels got them. (they haven't touched the glads in the backyard tho...knock on wood [Big Grin] )
by netwiz on July 21, 2006 09:09 AM
Thanks Joclyn, I figured you would come along and refresh my memory. [wavey]

Joanne
by joclyn on July 21, 2006 03:32 PM
you're welcome! [wavey]

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Pesky Grasshoppers| Next thread: pests »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: