The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Rooting Success - Hibiscus

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Rooting Rubber Plant| Next thread: rootless Aloe Vera »
Back to Thread index
by Triss on July 09, 2006 07:56 AM
I have an indoor Manihot Hibiscus. It was out of a full sun window for a while and got VERY tall. So I cut off the top and put what I ended up with in water. Since then, I have also cut more sections and they are also in water but have yet to show roots.

Here is the momma plant. You can see where I have taken off the top, but the bottom parts are looking great still and putting out new leaves.
 -

Here is where I am rooting things.
 -

And the roots of the first hibiscus, about a month ago I started this one.
 -

And the finished project. Unfortunately I broke the top part of the stem where there was a leaf, but cut it back to where a new leaf is forming. I sure hope it makes it. All of the rest of the stems are back in the rooting jar to transplant later.

The new one is the stick on the right next to I assume another type of hibiscus seedling that just came up on its own.

-

I have the plant in full-sun now, a south facing window, and the rooting jar is in a north facing window.

-
 -
We are all under the same stars... therefore we are never far apart.
by tkhooper on July 09, 2006 11:54 PM
That's a healthy set of roots you have there. Thankyou for the update on your rooting project.

-
 -
by Triss on July 10, 2006 06:34 AM
No problem Tammy, I just hope it takes off!

-
 -
by D on July 17, 2006 03:43 PM
I was under the impression this was a water plant that needed more moisture than a regular potted plant. I have some seeds and was planning to put them into a jello like substance recommened for what they call Hydroponics. I saw several of these hibiscus at a local nursery and my mom just fell in love with them. I'd be interesed in the progress of your plants

D
dcal7067@yahoo.com
by Triss on July 17, 2006 03:59 PM
Mine are doing great in regular soil. My new plant is putting out a shoot now so it survived the transplant. I am thrilled! The new ones I have rooting have yet to show signs of roots but are still very green and growing.

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Rooting Rubber Plant| Next thread: rootless Aloe Vera »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: