The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

please help my roses

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
by Francine on June 12, 2005 02:52 AM
hi all,

i ve got a 5 maybe6 yrs old rose tree,floribunda,that i ve transplanted i think it was towards the end of april,i ve put a bit of coffee,abit a banana peel and a bit(little bit ) a garlic salt in the hole with it.then it started to grow some thorns,big thorns and the wood became kinda red(abecame darker that why i call it red.at first i thought it was becuz it started waking up and i was all happy thinking at least it did not dye on me.well i can t see any buds on it i don t think it s even THINKING of buding [Big Grin] [Wink] [Eek!] . got to say that it s been maybe 2 oh, maybe 3 weeks.since we ve had good hot (average hot most of the time) weather.so maybe i should give it a little more time and not desesparate...what do you think...any tips and help would be appreciated. [flower]

Thank you very much....from a sad and desperate franny.

http://photobucket.com/albums/d23/fv1962/
by MaryReboakly on June 12, 2005 06:53 PM
Hey Francine!

I planted about 7 rose bushes this year, hybrid teas, floribunda, and climbers, all 2 year old bushes. Since you transplatned yours, I'm thinking it may act the same as mine. A lot of them had the red wood like you described, and one climber I have is growing like crazy, but is showing no signs of buds whatsoever. I looked it up, because I wondered if I planted it in the wrong spot, or something, and I found that some bushes will take until the 2nd year after planting to bloom after roots have been established. Don't give up on it - keep loving it up and I'll bet next year you'll have beautiful blooms [Wink]

Mary

-
 -
by Francine on June 12, 2005 07:00 PM
Hi Mary,

Thank you so much for telling me,so i ll wait for next yr. and keep taking care of it until then.

Sounds like you ve got a lot of kinds a roses it must be beautiful.My neighboor has some wild roses ,her backyard is maybe 3 or 4 feet below my level,funny question but do you think the roots will spread and come on my side,fat chance hein!...well twas an idea anyhow.

Thanks again!!

by MaryReboakly on June 12, 2005 07:20 PM
The first thing I really wanted was a rose garden. I guess it reminds me of home, growing up. My mom always had this one huge pink long stemmed rosebush that smelled so nice...and I remember her always trying to get my dad to cut it down, explaining that you had to cut it to make it bloom more, but he would get mad, saying he didnt want to kill it LOL I think that's the most my parents ever 'argued' about anything. But anyway, I'll come back from memory lane LOL

I don't think suckers will grow that far from the main plant (your neighbors roses), but you could ask for a branch, stick it in the ground and cover it with a glass jar (or upside down soda bottle with top cut off) keep it watered, and try to root it. Just a thought! [Wink]

Mary

-
 -
by Francine on June 16, 2005 10:55 AM
thankx for the tip Mary.

when ever you ve got memory lane stories i m a good listner,that was a very nice story about your parents.mine been married 48 yrs. they re so funny cuz at 75 and 68 they still take me aside when ever there s their anniversary or something and like dad would tell me in secret to never mind him take care of mom buy her something nice and on her side mom would do the same,it s so cute after all those yrs.well like you said enough about memory lane.

thanks again for the tip.

by ladybug69 on June 20, 2005 12:54 AM
hi all, I know it's been a while since I posted last. Been crazy around here. I was wondering if anyone can tell me about cross breeding roses. I have 4 plants now. I have red,yellow,white and and orange colored one. My red and yellow are cross breeding, it looks nice but I dont want my white and red to cross breed. Not yet anyway. Any help would be nice.
Thanks [wayey] [flower]

ladybug69
by tkhooper on June 20, 2005 01:04 AM
I didn't know they could do that wow.

-
 -

Active Garden Forum