The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Hens n' Chicks

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
by Carly on July 16, 2004 07:41 AM
My daughter brought two of them for us tonight - I do not plan to put them in the ground on the apartment lot here - I want them outside the window on our picnic table, so that means a 'planter'.

We do have a big round planter we can put them in.

What is the best soil - I have my standard topsoil for the gardening on the lot - will that do?

I'm wondering if I should mix it with peat moss.

Here's the pictures of the hens n' chicks - I just love these:

-

-

-
When sorting seeds, do not whistle.
by Meg on July 16, 2004 03:28 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Carly:
My daughter brought two of them for us tonight - I do not plan to put them in the ground on the apartment lot here - I want them outside the window on our picnic table, so that means a 'planter'.

Ok, when I read the first part of this, I'm thinking, what the heck does she want to keep birds on her picnic table for, unless she's eating them... [Big Grin]

Then I saw the rest, and the pics, and was all like [Embarrassed] and well, that's just the non gardener in me. I know so very little..lol. But, I like your pictures.. very cute plants. [Smile]

Meg

-
 -

I reject your reality, and substitue my own!
My favorite digital camera photos that I took.
My family, garden, and a bunch of misc. photos!
by dot on July 16, 2004 06:15 PM
Hi Carly,
I've had these in the past and they have gone crazy in any kind of dirt! I don't think they are picky about where they live. So my guess is that they would really take off if you actually took care of them [Big Grin] !
They do really well in those clay pots that have the holes down the sides (don't know how to describe it [dunno] ). You just tuck the plants in those holes and before long, they are all over the pot and look very cool.
by weezie13 on July 16, 2004 06:46 PM
Hi Carly,
Those are two nice looking Hens~n~Chick's you got there, and babies to boot [thumb] .
(*but the one on my right of the screen, has some weeds in it, when you do plant, make sure you pull those culprits' out!!)

Next H&C's really preferr "Crappy Dirt" (Phil loves my terminology of that! Right Phil?)
But the worst of the worst and they are very happy! Too much nice dirt can sometimes make them gangley!! But will be fine just the same)
But in any case, they are the ones' you don't have to waste your "nice dirt" on......save that for some of the other pickier ones....

Next...plant just regular, pull out and stuff them into a hole in the ground.

But, if you are ever replanting one's that have over grown their area, or have a long stem on them from the momma plant a couple of season's from now, pull it off the momma, and when there is dark, dead leaves~dead on the bottom, you can pull those dead ones off, stick it back on to the TOP surface of the dirt.... the plant will then send down roots into the soil....maybe cover just a tiny bit of stem and make sure the plant is touching the dirt..( Someday I'm going to do pictures of all these things I'm talkin' about)

But they are one of THE MOST EASIEST TO GROW....

*****Dot, was the pot/container you were describing a "strawberry pot"??
Yes, they do very nice in those...

I even have some planted in some old shoe's my mother gave me, put some different kinds of creepin sedum's in it too, looks really cute.
And I don't do a thing to it!

*****Meg, Those are one of the best "beginner~gardener" plants to grow!
Very easy to plant, care for and propagate!!

Weezie

P.S. And they eventually will flower and it's the neatest thing to see!!!!

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by dot on July 16, 2004 07:13 PM
Yes, a strawberry pot!
[thumb]
Thanks, Weezie.
by magic612 on July 16, 2004 08:18 PM
I just got a hen and chick plant not too long ago myself. I have it in a standard pot in the house. It seems really crowded but I did re-pot it. Do they mind the space they have?

Also, I heard that once a hen has babies, it will die off and the plant will be left with a bare spot. IS this true?
by weezie13 on July 16, 2004 09:18 PM
Magic612,
May I ask why you have it in the house??
I am just curious?? [dunno]
How long have you had it in the house???

I've always understood they need to be outside with a cold period?? I could very well be wrong,
they don't really die away in the winter, they go dormant.....

Just curious if yours stay alive all year round??

quote:
Also, I heard that once a hen has babies, it will die off and the plant will be left with a bare spot. IS this true?
I have never experienced a "hole" in my groups,
and I've got a buuuuuuuuuuuuunch of them all over the place...
They are flowering right now, they just kinda lie down when they're done, *I never do a thing to them* maybe at fall or spring, if there's a remenate of the stem left, I compost it....
The area plants grow bigger and engulf the area..
So, I personally have never experienced it..
Maybe because I'm so slow, have so many plants and by the time I re~look at it, the other plants have grown in...
Where maybe another style of gardener, may have less plants, and less on their so to speak "proverbal~plate" they MAY experience it...
Where I am a natural gardener, and let that type of plant alone to do what mother nature gave it the ability to do...and it takes care of it's self.
Where some may pull the brown and dying leaves away in the spring and such... I don't, because I know they'll do fine if I don't and actually I believe that is how it feeds it's self from it's own decaying/dying leaves at the base of each plant...
Does that make sense???

I am always *(I feel) a rotten explainer sometimes, and wonder if the right words came out!

Hope this helps!

Weezie

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by Carly on July 16, 2004 10:50 PM
This helps mucho - thanks thanks thanks . . . I looked around the web and got some info.

I read that you do not let the mother plants flower - pull the flower immediately (like coleus).

If you do let them flower, they are likely to die off.

I couldn't wait to get responses - I got some of the good garden soil, some peat moss and some just plain gritty soil from over the retaining wall and put them in my planter.

I don't really have any decent space on the lot to do this - besides these are MINE! MINE! MINE! MINE! I want them on my picnic table by the window.

As if I didn't have enough stuff piled on that table.

Pics of the finished planter?

Here goes . . . no applause, guys - just throw money!

My cat, Skitter, has this idea that taking pictures of a newly arranged planter isn't important - what is important, she figures, is Skitter . . .

-

So I went outside to do it . . .

-

Do you think I have enough plants on this picnic table?

-

-
by magic612 on July 17, 2004 06:12 AM
well I am pretty new to this so I dont know much about plants at all. When I bought my hens and chicks they were inside the grocery store so I assumed it was an indoor plant (since the outdoor plants are usually in the outside garden center).

I've had it for a few months now and its doing just fine. I have a couple babies and everything. I have it in a bright room.

Do you think I should put it outside?? what about space? do they need a lot? Like I said, mine are squeezed into a pot.. I dont want to kill it!

hehe sorry I'm so dumb at this guys!
by Carly on July 17, 2004 07:58 AM
I'll probably bring them in with everything else in October.

I also have Kalanchoe - it's outside in spring, summer and early fall - in the office window in winter - and it actually flowers in there.

You know it's 1:00 a.m. here in Toronto - I always stay up and work at the computer without hearing the t v going, etc., etc.

I don't like tying up the telephone line during the day - Jeff is the manager/super of this building so there might be job related calls.

(The owner won't fire him anyway - she won't let him go - ha ha!)

But right now, it's dark, of course and I keep looking out the window at my little hens n' chicks.

Oooooooooooohhhhhhhhhh! I just love them!

:-)

-
by weezie13 on July 17, 2004 08:03 AM
****Carly,
I had gardened for a bunch of years even before
I had ever saw a Hen's and Chick flower...
If fact I thought mine was unique!!
Until a bunch of us talking here, that their's had bloomed as well that same year.
I think if you pulled the flowers out, you'd be missing something very special..
I think the momma would have babies first,
all of mine have done that route...then there is something to move back into the "hole" where the momma was and it shouldn't be much of a "hole".

And I think one can never have enough plants on a picnic table!!!

****Magic612,
Well, like I said, I personally have never heard of them being an indoor plant....
I am not 100% though....
I do know that the H&C's that were at the base of my mom's house, didn't make it over the winter,
I believe because it was too warm of an area to over winter them, they seem to need a colder place. Are there two plants, so you could experiment? I do that alot, get two plants, and put one in one place and one in a totally different place.
And see the outcome in both places.
And if one dies, the other may survive..
If you keep one in the house, and one outside...
That way you can watch and test to see how they both fair!!!

But do you have access to ground out doors???
I know they are a VERY HARDY plant, I am zone 5 here...and I know they can take it in colder zones as well....

I would like to add to you both, each gardener is different, no two are alike...in there likes and/or dislikes!!! So, if it's something you like and can do and get them to survive indoors or outdoors..then grow them there, Or with a flower or without...pull it if you don't like it...leave it if you do...Chemical vs. Organic...
It's an individual choice...because I like something, the next gardener may not...
That's what make gardening so special....
Each to do what makes them happy and a garden look nice!!

Weezie

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by Carly on July 18, 2004 07:32 AM
Well, I see Magic is in New Brunswick.

And me - I'm in Toronto, Ontario.

What zone are we, Weezie?

Your map doesn't say anything about us Canucks.

:-0

-
by Carly on July 18, 2004 07:36 AM
And just HAVE TO share this, folks - today I scored a sensational plant stand at a yard sale - 7.50 - he wanted 10 bucks, I offered 5, which he refused - I said 'ok, how about we meet halfway'.

We shook on it and I had the sweet young thing carry into the the parking lot and put it by my picnic table.

Well, here it is . . . .

-

-

-
by Carly on July 18, 2004 07:40 AM
And, as you can see, there's some new baskets - pink, blue and this dusky green that puts you in mind of Sunday afternoons at your grandparents' place in the country.

There's also what Jeff calls a 'sconce'. I immediately had the Screws & Nuts fairy who lives here attach it to the end of the table.

-

Do I ever stop?

Nope.

-
by Carly on July 18, 2004 07:46 AM
I don't really know what to put in it yet - my petunias (in the pots) could use a thinning.

And there's some oregano I might put in there. But I've added seeds to that pot (summer savory), so I'd better leave that alone.

I do wish I'd had the sconce yesterday when I planted the hens & chicks.

Oh, I guess I'll figure out something.

I was out there tonight with the hose washing off the swan planters and rearranging my table for the nth time since spring.

I have put all of the kalanchoe on the planter! At the top? That sedum we discussed on the mystery forum - I put that in the dusty green basket (left it in the pot, of course).

I have plenty of stuff coming up in my 'scrub pot' so I'll betcha' there's going to be a lot more pots filled over the course of the next couple of weeks. I won't run out of stuff to put on this table.

:-0

-
by Carly on July 18, 2004 07:47 AM
Oh, why do I keep looking at these little buggers?

-
'Cause I love 'em, that's why.

-

Active Garden Forum