The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Non-flowering Black Eyed Susans

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
by BJGarden on July 16, 2004 03:55 AM
I had some landscaping done last fall and part of the plan was for nine black eyed susan's. All nine came back up this spring but only five have flowered...the other four only have foliage. They're planted as a group and it's like the left half flowered and the right half didn't. Any ideas why?
by Lilylilac on July 16, 2004 04:18 AM
Hi. Welcome to the forums!

Are the one's that flowered getting more sun? Any difference in their soil or locations???? [flower]

It could be that the non-flowering ones just aren't old enough to flower yet and maybe they're waitin til next year.

-

zone 5
by TomR on July 16, 2004 05:08 AM
quote:
Originally posted by BJGarden:
I had some landscaping done last fall and part of the plan was for nine black eyed susan's. All nine came back up this spring but only five have flowered...the other four only have foliage. They're planted as a group and it's like the left half flowered and the right half didn't. Any ideas why?
Are they planted too close together? Normally after a few years (3-4) they need to be thinned out because they crowd each other out. I just lift some randomly in my Susan beds and plant the removed one's in new spots.

Tom

My memory's not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
by Phil and Laura on July 16, 2004 05:56 AM
[wayey] Tom, I have 1 Black-eyed Susan..we planted it a bit late but it is hanging in there and giving us pretty little flowers. [grin] The greenery on it is a bit rough but the flowers are pretty. [flower] [flower] Laura
by BJGarden on July 17, 2004 01:06 AM
Lilylilac - They were all planted together and if anything the ones flowering are getting a little, little less sun. I thought if planted in the fall they would flower the following year, or does it take longer...maybe I got plants from differnt batches!?!
by TomR on July 17, 2004 03:38 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Phil and Laura:
[wayey] Tom, I have 1 Black-eyed Susan..we planted it a bit late but it is hanging in there and giving us pretty little flowers. [grin] The greenery on it is a bit rough but the flowers are pretty. [flower] [flower] Laura
Laura,
Keep it watered and next year that thing will multiply for you! You'll be swiming in them in 2-3 years! I originally got 3 plants about 7-8 years ago and now I have 6 different beds of them (each bed about 3-4 feet by 2-3 feet) all from the original 3 plants.

I bought and fell in love with Bee balm this year!

Tom

My memory's not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
by BFVISION on July 17, 2004 04:25 PM
I know exactly what the non-flowering feels like [Mad] . Sun is a must because I have these beauties throughout my yard and the full sun is bursting but the shade areas are much further behind [Eek!] . Miracle-Gro puts out a bulb booster high octane powder [shocked] . This has helped me out with fantastic results in these areas [teacher] .
Good Luck
BFVISION

BFVISION

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=2122269418&mode=guest
by njoynit on July 17, 2004 08:10 PM
hmm I have some in sun& shade and my shade ones actually bloomed 1st,but were transplanted here from my move and the others were some dug up out here same yr but planted a lil latter...like when was a blooming.They are a perenial,but as to could be a diffeent batch...that could be so...if planbted early sprng or fall will bloom same year but if wait later like mid spring will bloom following year....but yeah...they are a full sun plant,are just kinda leggy in shade(they actually got pulled out of pot with something else...and some blue spider wort....and I forgot to go plant them,and they grew there and just have not moved them but will likely leave them being have been sprinkling seeds in spot..when i noticed what I'd done...was busy doing another gardening chore....so tossed dirt on them& when did get to doing bed there,well they had dirt...I just laid down the broke concrete and added a firecracker plant and some ajuga......so see?we learn by accident sometimes [Embarrassed] )

by the way...they are a lil strange...they have a bit of moss growing on black head,they didn't do that B4...anyone else ever seen that?I'm sure if someone walked by while ago would have thoght me nuts seeing me petting the green moss on top of flower...my dog even had her head turned sideways like"what she pets flowers too? [shocked] .... [nutz]

-
 -
I will age ungracefully until I become an old woman in a small garden..doing whatever the Hell I want!

http://community.webshots.com/user/njoynit03
http://community.webshots.com/user/njoynit
http://photos.yahoo.com/njoynit03

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: