The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

shade perrenniels for dummys

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by lakegran on May 20, 2006 05:24 AM
I have been playing around with a totally shaded spot ( under my water spigot) The only things that seems to survive the season are hostas. I have tried astilbe, lily of the vally, and a ground hugging blue plant that I don't remember the name. I am looking for low maintainance. I usually have a pretty little nook by filling in with annuals, but have not given up on the hope of filling the spot with perenniels. Any Ideas? I have lived in a second floor condo for 25 years so I have been in heaven for the last 2 summers where I can actually plant in the ground.

-
by joclyn on May 20, 2006 07:26 AM
see if something on this list ofshade plants suits your needs [Smile]
by tamara on May 20, 2006 08:20 AM
How about Jacob's ladder, mine grow in total shade.

-
 -
Tamara's Photos
Thinking Spring, Thinking Spring...Nope, doesn't work.lol
by cinta on May 20, 2006 08:44 AM
Some ferns would love that area. Try some color ferns.

Japanese painted fern maroon grey color
and Autumn Fern orange when the new ones come out.

-
 -

I even have some daylilies in a dark area. The old ones will grow anywhere. Try Daylily Lemon Lily
 -

http://www.flickr.com/photos/audwoman/

If you want the rainbow you have to put up with the rain!!
by lakegran on May 20, 2006 02:50 PM
Thanks all....the ferns are beautiful. will they overwinter in Michigan Jacobs ladder souns interesting. I will look for the Lemon lily at my wonderful nursery

-
by SpringFever on May 20, 2006 03:18 PM
Ferns grow great here in zone 6.. I have had several babies off mine this year that I have transplanted! ... I also grow in total shade columbine does great! Jacobs ladder is good .. you can grow creeping phlox ... oh mind you the ones I have are right under the water spicket!
check my photobucket those are all in the shade except for the wisteria!

-
 -
Tonight I am having friends for dinner... Hanibal Lector My Album
by tkhooper on May 22, 2006 11:03 AM
Sweet Woodruff likes water and shade and smells really good too. Maybe that's the ticket?

-
 -
by ladystressout on May 27, 2006 08:35 AM
ok everyone I have a spot west side of house that gets morning shade then sun hits the area around 3-4:00 is that considered best for shade plants?I have a bleeding heart,lily of the valley,dragon bloods,and autumn joy all they seem to be doing ok but I'm tired of all the greenery I got need some color any ideas?
by Eagle on May 27, 2006 02:10 PM
Impatients add a lot of color punch to any shade garden. They can self sow for the next year but I end up planting a new group every year.
by dodge on May 28, 2006 09:39 AM
lakegran

Salvias love part shade .. Or all shade .. Red and blue...Mine are on the east side and get mostly shade.. Hosta and clematis like shade also.
Just wondering if anyone out there have doubel Impatients plants or seeds to trade.

Thanks

dodge

-
 -
''''Those who live in the Lord Never See Each Other For The Last Time!''''
by tkhooper on May 28, 2006 02:20 PM
Hi lady try the miniature snapdragons in mixed colors. They will give you color spring and fall but you'll need to add something for the summer because they do go dormant then and you would have all green.

-
 -
by patches1414 on May 28, 2006 09:22 PM
You might want to try Columbine, it does very well for me in my shade garden and there are so many different varieties. [Smile]

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: