The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Looking for something for underneath my Deck

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by Xetox on May 11, 2006 02:51 AM
We have a low deck that in the front of it has about I would say 4 feet from ground to deck...there is always weeds and what nots growing under there...I was looking for something that will take over underthere that wont need much care?

Any suggestions?

-
I hate those dang rabbits [Smile]
by SpringFever on May 11, 2006 02:59 AM
Xetox what kind of sun does it get?

-
 -
Tonight I am having friends for dinner... Hanibal Lector My Album
by RugbyHukr on May 11, 2006 03:19 AM
pachysandra shoud do

-
I love the sweet scents wafting in the breeze. I stop to admire the vibrant colors of all living things. And people think me odd. Then ODD I am!!!

http://community.webshots.com/user/flugnash
by tkhooper on May 11, 2006 04:10 AM
Acanthus mollis 'Tasmanian Angel'
Bear's Breeches, Variegated

Acer circinatum 'Little Gem'
Maple, Dwarf Vine

Actaea japonica
Bugbane

Astilbe c. 'Superba'
False Spirea

Astilbe j. 'Montgomery'
False Spirea

Athyrium augustum forma rubellum 'Lady in Red'
Lady in Red

Athyrium filix-femina 'Vernoniae Cristatum'
Lady Fern, Miss Vernon's Crested

Chasmanthium latifolium
Northern Sea Oats

Coleus will work during the summer months but will have to be taken in during the rest of the year. They will not take temperatures below 55 degrees farinheit.

Darmera peltatum
Umbrella Plant

Dryopteris affinis 'Stableri'
Male Fern, Narrow Leaf Golden-Scaled

Spurge

Helleborus x hybridus
Lenten Rose

Hosta

Lamiastrum 'Herman's Pride'
False Lamium

Liriope muscari 'Big Blue'
Lily-turf

This isn't a complete list but it is a start. Hopefully it will at least get you on the right start. I didn't know your zone so you will have to check that before choosing to buy one.

-
 -
by joclyn on May 11, 2006 05:25 AM
pachysandra, various ferns, hosta (they flower) all do well with little to no sun. creeping clematis, too.

hosta (variegated variety) does well with some sun. vinca does really well (nice ground cover and it flowers) the more sun it gets - it'll still grow in the shade tho.
by Xetox on May 11, 2006 06:04 AM
SpringFever - Very little sun, well when the sun is sitting in the west it does get some sun.

Pachysandar, does that spread well, does it stay fairly close to the ground...I dont want something that is going to grow like 3 foot tall or something.

Last question, where can I find some the cheapest [Smile]

Thanks!

-
by SpringFever on May 11, 2006 06:14 AM
Xetox this link may help ground cover for shade
also lily of the valley has some nice little flowers and does not get too tall..
Seeds may be the ticket for a cheap ground cover.
try the seed exchange

-
 -
Tonight I am having friends for dinner... Hanibal Lector My Album
by Xetox on May 11, 2006 06:40 AM
Thanks, I am thinking about Asarum caudatum looks like something that would be perfect for that spot. Now to only find some seeds, or roots.

-
by patches1414 on May 11, 2006 09:12 PM
Pachysandar spreads well and stays close to the ground. Other choices might be woodruff, snow-in the-summer and some of the lower growing Hostas.

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by Mrs.Bradley on May 29, 2006 10:57 AM
hey, xetox.
we live in the pacific northwest and fern grows well under our deck. if you get enough rain, you might think of growing it under yours. it requires no care. just let it go.

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: