The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Flowering bushes in the hot Florida sun

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Flowering Bush for shady area| Next thread: flowering cabbage/kale »
Back to Thread index
by Olvoyl on May 09, 2006 06:16 AM
Help!!! My home and business is on the same piece of property in Jacksonville, Florida, a zone 8. The building for my business is a large, green metal building and is visible with 2 airconditioning units. After the first 2 feet from the building the area recieves strong late morning and afternoon sun until 5 - 7pm depending on the time of year. I wanted to plant hydrangea but the sun is too much. Does someone have a suggestion as to what I could plant for with a similar impact? I'm a newbie and rather ignorant.
by RugbyHukr on May 09, 2006 07:57 AM
lantana are nice & flower all year

euryops also bloom thru the year

alyogyne 'blue hibiscus' blooms on & off all year

of course roses bloom profusely

bougainvillea love heat need little water & flower where the sun hits it

-
I love the sweet scents wafting in the breeze. I stop to admire the vibrant colors of all living things. And people think me odd. Then ODD I am!!!

http://community.webshots.com/user/flugnash
by Olvoyl on May 09, 2006 10:49 AM
Ok, I live in the south and didn't even THINK of bougainvillea!! Perfect choice. Thank you so much, I'm just ignorant still, only been trying my hand at gardening for two seasons now and last year didn't go super well. Any special tips on planting? I'm trying to hide my inexperience & I've got a big back yard party in a month and a half and I'm trying to make it look like I know what I'm doing. Any thoughts on the matter would be welcome.
by Sir Ts Princess on May 15, 2006 08:31 AM
The Lantana would be great as would the roses. But, you could also try something like Azalea...they can grow BIG and in my area of Florida (between PC Beach and Tallahssee) they generally bloom prolifantly twice a year. Some others you might not have thought of would be Bridal Wreath and Gardenia. If you have small children around, a quick note about the Lantana is that it is a Poisinous plant...I ended up having to exterminate mine due to my youngest son repeatedly trying to "taste" it during his "baby/toddler" phase. Pretty plant, but wasn't worth the risk to me.

-
by gardenmom32210 on May 21, 2006 01:37 AM
Hi,Olvoyl [wavey]

I'm in Jacksonville,Florida also and highly recommend,Lantana,Hibiscus,4 o'clocks,Mexican petunias,ginger and vincas. They grow very well here.

If you have an Ace Hardware nearby they can help out alot....I go to Hall's Ace hardware on Blanding and they are very good at helping you select just the right thing to plant.

Welcome to the Forum,It's a pleasure to meet you
[wavey]

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Flowering Bush for shady area| Next thread: flowering cabbage/kale »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: