The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Looking for something different..

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by SpringFever on May 08, 2006 02:11 AM
OK I get to go shopping next weekend for mothers day and wanted to add some unique perrenials to my zone 6 shade area I have ferns,daisies,painted daisies,purple cone flowers, creeping phlox, stargazer lilies ,coral bells orange glory flowers, black eye susans,..
any good suggestions??

-
 -
Tonight I am having friends for dinner... Hanibal Lector My Album
by tkhooper on May 08, 2006 05:25 AM
Definitely I would spend all my money on getting peonies trees. I would get one of every color. They are expensive. But they are beautiful and long lived. Well worth the expense if I could just come up with the dollars.

If that isn't of interest here are some other choices.

Actaea pachypoda - Dolls Eyes: All parts of this plant are toxic so not good if you have animals or children.

Alchemilla erythropoda - Dwarf Lady's Mantle

Anemone nemorosa 'Flore Pleno' - Anemone, Wood: as a flowering ground cover I think this is really nice

Arisaema triphyllum - Jack-in-the-Pulpit

False Spirea - there are a number of colors and heights of these and they are great looking. I love anything that looks like a feather.

Pigsqueak - I know the name is off putting but if you like pink I would definitely look into some of these.

Clintonia umbellulata - Speckled Wood Lily: The blooms are white and it would fit in well with what you already have but it wouldn't provide a contrast so maybe not.

Lilies of the valley: Pink or white

Chinese Winter Hazel: As a small tree this is great.

Hope something here is useful for you.

-
 -
by SpringFever on May 08, 2006 08:20 AM
Love the peonies ... the jack in the pulpit is also cool.. I love unusual things and textures in my garden.. I also just planted some green wizard rudbeckea and black hollyhocks .. scarlet beebalm .. ... love the dragon flower but would not wany the smell.. Have some lily of the valley and cant seem to get rid of it for nothing .. should put it up on the seed exchange.
what about toad lilys ?

-
 -
by patches1414 on May 08, 2006 06:43 PM
Maybe get some coral bells, trillium, astilbes, hostas, or bleeding hearts. All of these do very well in the shade. [thumb]

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by SpringFever on May 09, 2006 12:55 AM
I have all but the trillium going to check that out.. thanks Patti

-
 -
by SpringFever on May 09, 2006 12:57 AM
What a pretty Flower I am going to put that on my list !!

-
 -
by dfrench200 on May 13, 2006 04:30 PM
How about pulmonaria? Flowers are great in the spring, they have nice foliage for the rest of the summer and the critters dont bug them...
I also love epimediums,great for ground cover.
I have 4 varieties of toad lily and welcome their fall blooms.

Doug
Northern VA
by SpringFever on May 13, 2006 04:46 PM
Thanks Doug .. And wlcome to the forum!!

Love the toad lilies .. I will check out the rest thanks !!!

-
 -
by SpringFever on May 13, 2006 04:53 PM
Ohhh those are both pretty thank you!!! I love the lungwart one with the spotted leaves!! thanks!

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: