The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Ferns and Shade

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Ferns and palms| Next thread: Ferns and Winter »
Back to Thread index
by packisnumber1 on April 13, 2006 12:59 AM
I have an area by my house that will recieve NO sun at all except maybe a very little bit early in the morning. It is on the north side of my house and right up tight to the house itself. My question is this....are ferns the best at growing in zero sun? What other types of plants would go good there?

I will try to get some pics one of these days of my garden areas for people to see.

Thanks! [wavey] [flower]
by patches1414 on April 13, 2006 04:21 AM
If you'll go to my post in this forum titled Helleborus I have some pictures of my shade garden when I started it in 2004 and how it looked last year in 2005. [flower] What a difference a year makes. [thumb] I've listed the plants I have in it.

Hope this helps! [Smile]

patches [kitty]

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by SpringFever on April 14, 2006 01:30 AM
yes I have the same prob. in my yard
ferns, hosta, bleeding hearts, columbine there are a lot of different things that grow well in the shade.
Btw patches your garden is very pretty!
oh poker primrose, hydrangea. Beiieve me I have all shade where I do my gardening. even some lily's do good I have a stargazer that does great!

-
 -
Tonight I am having friends for dinner... Hanibal Lector My Album
by patches1414 on April 14, 2006 06:40 AM
Thank you, I was really proud of it last year. [Smile] I didn't think it would look that good in only a year. In 2004, before I began, it was weeds, clay soil and grass, so this was a huge improvement! [thumb]

I did add some lillies and Japanese Iris after the picture was taken last year, so I'm anxious to see how they do. I've already planted some Trillium this year, but I not expecting too much from it, since I don't want to be disappointed. [Frown]

patches [kitty]

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by SpringFever on April 14, 2006 07:13 AM
I am sure it will be gorgeous and something that you will be proud of!!
Lots of work and love go into a garden almost like kids [Wink]

-
 -
Tonight I am having friends for dinner... Hanibal Lector My Album

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Ferns and palms| Next thread: Ferns and Winter »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: