The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

window box

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Windbreaks in zone 9b| Next thread: Window box flowers in shade??? »
Back to Thread index
by Ivy9 on March 08, 2006 04:11 AM
Hi
I have a north facing window. I was wondering if I want to put a window box what can go in there. It is in the shade becoz of a big tree.Any suggestions?
by SpringFever on March 08, 2006 05:37 AM
mini daliahs are pretty as well as coleus.. impatients. what effect are you trying to get?

-
 -
Tonight I am having friends for dinner... Hanibal Lector My Album
by patches1414 on March 08, 2006 02:05 PM
I usually put Begonias in mine, but I've also put Impatiens in the past. I pinch them back at least once shortly after I plant them so they don't get too tall!!! [thumb]

patches [kitty]

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by Ivy9 on March 08, 2006 11:56 PM
I want some color in that area. I like coleus , no idea about impatients but will look for it. Is any of this perennial/ can stay out in Chicago winter and come back next yr?
by SpringFever on March 09, 2006 12:33 AM
both are anual, begonias you have to take in.
I also put marigolds in my boxes and dusty millers

-
 -
by weezie13 on March 09, 2006 12:33 AM
For an Annual, *you'd have to lift out*
Caladiums are gorgeous, and they come in
such an array of colors, it's unbelieveable...

I will have to think on the shady perennial???

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by SpringFever on March 09, 2006 12:39 AM
Is it full shade?

-
 -
by SpringFever on March 09, 2006 12:41 AM
Maybe hardy geraniums?

-
 -
by Ivy9 on March 09, 2006 01:37 AM
It is partial to full shade. Can you please suggest some combinations of hardy ones? I am really new at this. I have been doing houseplants for the last one yr but just the store bought ones . I want to create something this year like use the ones I have in combinations, decorative planters and also work on my shade garden and patio window box etc

Thanks a lot
by weezie13 on March 09, 2006 01:46 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Ivy9:
Can you please suggest some combinations of hardy ones?
Do you mean you're looking at perennials to plant in them to leave like over winter???

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by tkhooper on March 09, 2006 02:18 AM
Well that's a great idea. But you do have to remember that boxes get colder during the winter than having them planted in the grown. So I would try for perennials that will take colder temperatures than whatever zone you are in.

Ok I'll try designing one or two

Lets see at the sides of the box to frame the window I think I would try some of the monks hood. One of them in the 2 foot range for height. This puts me in the blue/purple color group. Aconitum fischeri might be a good one. It flowers from late summer to early fall so next I want something that will come in much earlier. I think near the front of the box I would do some of the smaller semi-evergreen ferns, then some lilies of the nile in the same blue purple range. More towards the center of the box and then fill in with one of the groundcovers such as Kenilworth Ivy. The yellow throats on this flowering ground cover will be just the hint of contrast to make it look good I think. But then I'm no decorator so we definitely need a second opinion.

Now for something in the pinks lol. Starting with the ornamental strawberries for a ground cover, with Anemone, Parsley Leaf near the sides again for the purpose of framing the window. and near the center I'd try for some of the double columbine. They are so dainty and pretty.

Ok that's about it for me being a decorator lol.

-
 -
by rozy221 on March 09, 2006 12:01 PM
Wow TK!!! You're GOOD!!!
by rozy221 on March 09, 2006 12:04 PM
I'm trying some of these for my north bed: torenia
by Ivy9 on March 10, 2006 02:30 AM
Thanks a lot tk! I will do as you suggested
by FlowerNewbie on March 10, 2006 03:50 AM
Keep up posted ivy on what it looks like when you start and when it's blooming - even if you end up differing from the original plan - I'm working on window boxes also and would love to see some pics!

and umm. designer tk - would you say that the combo you put together would work well if it was on the inside of the window as opposed to the outside or would you change some things?

-
 -
Kitten in Life  - , Tiger in Love  -
by tkhooper on March 10, 2006 05:12 AM
It's hard to do window boxes on the inside because of drafts and a lack of humidity. I think you'll find you will have much better luck if you do them outside. They even have window boxes with bottom watering systems and that is a real benefit too.

-
 -
by FlowerNewbie on March 10, 2006 05:19 AM
That's not the answer I was looking for [Razz] ... Let's just say you HAD to do one inside... and you could even open up the window [dunno] ... Come on tk work with me [Big Grin] ... or I'm gonna cry  - just kidding just wanted t o use the picture... My boxes are bought ready and sitting on the windows - just need some design expertise...

-
 -
by tkhooper on March 10, 2006 05:35 AM
If I had to do one inside I would probably go with a variety of tropical flowers since they have the best chance of survival. And I would definitely use the Kalanchoe Calandiva probably every color and variety I could find. And since they have low growing foliage and then a taller flower spike you really wouldn't need anything else in there with them. But if your really into landscaping you might start with your favorite color of Kalanchoe Calandiva in the center surrounded with some hen & chicks and then as a hanging plant over the side some portulaca. You will have to keep those pinched back or they will get leggy. And of course the best thing to do is get a florescent tube to increase the light they get because they will want a bunch of light. And that's just a bare beginning of what you can do with succulents. There are so many pretty miniature desert gardens at our local wal-mart that it would be impossible to choose just one. And they only go for about 7 dollars each. A couple of those and you would have all the plant material you need to have a gorgeous window box. I'm tempted to do that myself but then I could start plants in winter and I love doing that even more so I'll have to pass it up.

-
 -
by FlowerNewbie on March 10, 2006 05:44 AM
[clappy] [clappy] [clappy] Yea!!!! Someone gave me a landscape plan! I'm looking up those plants right now!

Oh by the way found this site for purchasing was recommended by a friend on the forum... They have so many varieties that it's almost overwhelming! Who new how many different types of coleus there are - check them out guys some of them are AMAZING. Anyway other then that good for looking up types cause most have pictures. Could use a designer to come help out with the color combo's of the website (kinda hurts your eyes - or maybe that's cause I was tired) Anyways check it out you won't be disappointed...

http://www.glasshouseworks.com/pageone.html

-
 -
by FlowerNewbie on March 10, 2006 09:11 AM
OKay tried looking up those plants and had trouble finding them -

Kalanchoe Calandiva - "calandiva" seems to be a trade mark brand or something. Couldn't find pics of anything but pink and no where that sells. Also, found many other types of "kalanchoe" - are these the same as what you are talking about. Do you have any pics.

hen & chicks - uhh.. what kinda plant is that?

portulaca - I did find many varieties of this plant. They all seem to start with moss rose... very pretty all sorts of colors. Is this what you were thinking that would hang over well?

Sorry for being such a pain...

-
 -
by cinta on March 11, 2006 01:54 AM
You asked what is Hens and Chicks. Look for Sempervivum. I buy mine at Squaw Mountain Gardens. This is what they look like. They do not die down in the winter you get different color at different seasons.
 -

This ia a pot of them made into a topiary.
 -

They would look good in a window box with some sedum.

Another idea....You could also try daylily Stella D'oro yellow bloom, there is also a Purple D'oro that blooms all summer these are two hardy plants that would survive a window box and for groundcover how about a variegated ivy.
Purple D'oro.
 -

If you do H&C you will need to find other dry condition plants as suggested

If you do daylilies and ivy then you can add some annuals they will need more moisture.

You have two choice Sedum and Hens and Chicks or Dayliles and ivy and annual window box display.

That is my 2 cents LOL

http://www.flickr.com/photos/audwoman/

If you want the rainbow you have to put up with the rain!!

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Windbreaks in zone 9b| Next thread: Window box flowers in shade??? »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: